Upgrading Mandrake & KDE

epretorious

Hello, All:

I am in the process of upgrading from Mandrake 9.1 / KDE 3.1 to Mandrake 10.0 / KDE 3.2 and have run into a few snags:

• Kontact won't read my KAddressManager contact information..
  • Kontact won't read my KOrganizer calendar/todo list.
  • Kontact won't read my Konqueror bookmarks.

KMail is able to read my old .Mail direcotory, though (i.e., folders and messages). :blink:

Is there some sort of upgrade scripts that I need to run these files through in order to upgrade/import them into Kontact?

Edited by epretorious

Easiest way to do this is not use the upgrade option, but the install option. Upgrading the packages has caused many headaches. Easiest way IMHO, providing you've created a /home partition, would be to do an expert install, let it keep your existing partitions, and when it asks which partitions to format, choose all the partitions ecept for the /home partition. Leave the /home partition unchecked, that way during format, your /home partition will be saved. When Mandrake finishes installing, you'll have all of your preferences and data saved. On'y thing you'll have to reinstall would be some previous programs that are not on the discs. There are other ways to do this, but this is the one I use.

The root-cause of this problem appears to be operator error: I completely forgot that tar'ing my old directory (in order to copy it to the new machine) will omit hidden directories. e.g., ~/.kde.

Once I realized this, I was able to complete the migration by creating an invoice file for tar...

.kde/share/apps/korganizer
.kde/share/apps/kabc
.kde/share/apps/konqueror

...and then moving the .tar file to the new workstation and un-tar'ing them.

Caveat: One minor modification was required: I had to rename ~/.kde/share/apps/korganizer/eric.ics -> std.ics. in order for korganizer to load my old calendar.

Edited by epretorious