I really need to get this working

phunni

I have recently set up a simple server for my home network. I will really need to get ssh working soon though as it will make my life soooooooooo much easier, as well as saving my monitor cable plug, which at present is being switched between machines constantly andI'm sure it does it no good.

My server is running sshd and this seems to be working ( I did an ssh to localhost which succeeded). If I try to ssh from my desktop machine to the server, it simply times out after a long wait. I can ping the server from my dekstop - so I know that there is network connectivity (anyway the server shares the internet connection, so I wouldn't be able to post this if they were not connected).

I am running firestarter as a frirewall on the server, but I am sure that this is only protecting the server's NIC which goes to the internet, and so should not affect a local network connection.

I do have this bizzare problem: http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=1799 which may be relevant, although I suspect it's a red herring.

Any suggestions as to why this might be timing out? I have tried doing a service sshd reload on the server - made no difference

I am running firestarter as a frirewall on the server, but I am sure that this is only protecting the server's NIC which goes to the internet, and so should not affect a local network connection.

Chances are relatively good (say 30%) that it's the firewall. Do a quick test and see. Pull the plug on your external interface (so you're safe) and then clear the firewall, and try again ...

Also, check your logs. sshd will tell you when it denies a request (based on entries in hosts.allow etc) in /var/log/syslog, so if you don't see anything like that, chances are it's not even seeing the request, and that your firewall is at fault.

I had the server installed - evrything was installed - which was the weird thing. I does seem, after all, like it was to do with my problem with the Network card. I think my desktop must have trying to use eth1 to connect (which doesn't exist). I removed all reference to that and it works now.

Thanks for all the help anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I still have the NIC removed but the problem has resurfaced - I have no idea why. The only thing I have done recently is to play around with recompiling the kernel, but I doubt that this is the issue as I'm not running my new kernel.

What could cause ssh to simply time out? I am sure that my own firewall is not causing an issue. I have recently tried to ssh to my project on source forge.net and I get the same problem.

What could cause ssh to simply time out?  I am sure that my own firewall is not causing an issue.  I have recently tried to ssh to my project on source forge.net and I get the same problem.

it's timing out because it's not getting a reply from the server.

did you try to connect to sourceforge again later? that maybe another red herring.

as for your personal system, i would make sure that firestarter has the IP of the computer you are connecting from as "trusted"...and I think you can say what port it's trusted to connect to...not sure.

also, check in MCC (mandrake control center) and make sure that the firewall mandrake has by default isn't blocking the ssh port. also try doing just a local ssh (ssh localhost) from the machine running the server, make sure it's being started (erm...this should have been the first step, but i didn't think of it till now).