I delete some partition and Mandrake wont boot

yellowchicken

I have 1 HDD, just added another one. So

I install Mandrake 10.0 on hdb and use up the whole disk

hda used to be 5-6 partitions with Windows and an old Mandrake 9.0

then I decide to remove Mandrake 9.0, reinstall Win XP. Delete Manrake 9.0's partitions

now hda has 3 partitions

but Mandrake wont boot after that.

error msg when booting is:

resuming /dev/hda7

Resuming from device hda6

"Kernel panic: Resume Machine Unable to find suspended-data signature (-misspelled?"

Mandrake still boot OK if I remove the hda (unplug the IDE cable).

What's wrong with this?

Thanks

Edited by yellowchicken

Are you using lilo as a boot manager? It looks like you need to make some edits in the /etc/lilo.conf file. It may also be that you were using a default lilo.conf in your old 9.0 install. Now that you have deleted it lilo is messed. So do this: insert the first install cd, hit F1 at the splash, type "rescue" and reinstall lilo from the menu that will eventually come up.

Rescue will only re-install lilo for you as it was before things messed up, which should be fine in your case as your install is on a different drive. But once you're are back in MDK I'd suggest running the bootloader wizard in the MDK Control Centre so it can update everything to your new set up.

If rescue doesn't get you back in to MDK all is not lost. You can do a re-install and when it comes to partitioning choose to do it manually. Delete all the partitions on HDB except for the one that was /home. Select it and set it as /home again, then let the installer do the others. This way when you get back into MDK your user settings should still be in tact.

Good luck!

My best guess is that there used to be a swap partition on hda that mdk9 used and that lilo is configured to look for it in mdk10. That would be typical of a mdk10 install; it will try to use and setup every swap partition on any other hard drives even if one is setup on the drive where mdk is installing. For a swap partition on another hard drive you have something like this in the lilo append line:

resume=/dev/hdxx

where "xx" corresponds to the location of the swap partition on the other hard drive.

Get a like cd like knoppix and boot up with it and take a look at your /etc/lilo.conf and /etc/fstab; post back your results.

The knoppix iso is about 700mb; if you don't already have one, try downloading slax(185mb):

http://slax.linux-live.org/

It's a really nice little livecd that boots into kde all off a 185mb cd. After burning the iso, boot off the cd, and at the login prompt, login as "root" with the password "toor" then at the command prompt type:

$ gui

and you should go into kde and be able to access all your partitions so you can see what's going on.

Edited by pmpatrick