CD mounted and K3B

papaschtroumpf

I was trying to burn a CD with K3b last night and it was failing to even start burning the CD.

upon looking in the log files it turns out that it (whatever app is under the hood, probably cdrecord) was complaining about not being to get a hold of the recorder device.

I unmounted the drive (umount /dev/cdrom2) and everythign was fine after that.

why wasn't the CD unmounted when I removed the data CD that was in the drive before I tried to burn the CD? I though that Mandrake automatically unmounted the CD when you eject it?

If another app was trying to "monitor" the CD (such as some autorefresh feature in Konqueror, I don't remember if WMware was runnning, etc...), how do I find out who my but monitoring/using the drive? and ifthat was the case wouldn't I have gotten some error message when I tried to unmount the dirve automatically?

the lsof command stated above will tell you what's using the drive. just a question, though........

do you use KDE & have KSCD docked in the tray by any chance? if so, try exiting KSCD & then burning. i had this happen to me once & it drove me crazy until i discovered the lsof command. it turned out to be KSCD was using the drive. or, i should say, it keeps the drive "in the ready" so when you insert a music CD it will auto play.

Chris

OK, similar problem again today except that if I try to unmount the cdrom it tells me the device is busy.

lsof /mnt/cdrom2 shows a bunch of files in use by "fam"

"fam" appears to be some kind of file monitor that looks for file upodates so that (for example) Konqueror can update its windoe when the list of files change.

How do I tell fam to stop monitoring the CD?

ok, the old FAM hook........

FAM stands for File Alteration Monitor. just kill it as stated above, you will lose nothing. it's a service that runs to detect file changes/alterations. mainly a security service that's basically unneeded for regular/home use. go to MCC->system->services & turn it off from starting at boot if it's set to do so.

Chris

OK, I killed it and I can burn my CD fine, but it seems to me that it modified the behavior of Konqueror when browsing the harddrive: now I have to hit "refresh" to see new files (for example downloads completing) whereas before they would just appear in the window. I'm not 100% certain about this because I had to leave for work before I could fully qualify the behavior. It did seem to me that Konqueror uses fam though.

I looked at fam man page and I'm not sure how to tell who is using fam. Also, there is no such things as "exclude this mount point from the list of files being monitored".