multisession cds

LDC

hi all! I know this is a stupid question but how can i make a multisesion cd with k3b? An also i have tried to continue a multisesion cds made by Nero and it is not possible to continue writin it with k3b. Wots the problem?And has some1 tried xcdroast? Is it good? Thanx!!

you can make a multi-session CD with K3b. when you go to burn the disc (data, music, mixed media, whatever) you will be given a dialogue box to fine tune/change settings before burning. among them, there settings for finalize (or close the CD after burn), multi-session, continue multi-session. choose the appropriate option before you burn.

i think the reason you're having trouble is because Nero uses a different method to encode discs. not really sure, but i don't think you could start a multi-session CD with any one burner app, then continue it on another, whether it be in Windows or Linux. like, i don't think you could start multi-session a CD on Nero & continue you it with Roxio (or vice versa). since Linux CD burner apps are just front ends for cdrecord, you may be able to do it in Linux, but i have never tried. somebody correct me if i'm wrong.

as for XCDRoast, it's a very nice app. not as GUI friendly as K3b & doesn't have all the features (no drag & drop, pretty icons, multi panel layout) but it works quite nicely. you need to run it as root the first time, so you can activate non-root mode, set it up, & add user burning priveledges. XCDRoast is an X app, hence the eye candy limitations. to run it as root the first time, just open a terminal, su to root, then type xcdroast (hit enter). give it a whirl & see what you think.

Chris

Edited by chris z

• 4 months later...

Like a lot of people I ditched my floppy a long time ago so I count on being able to swap multisession cd-r discs around. I've never had any problems using multisession discs between Nero and Roxio, but cdrecord doesn't seem to be cross-compatible...If anyone knows of a burner program for kde that CAN read and write to nero/roxio multisessions please spread the word. I have'nt tried it in the other direction (creating the multisession structure with k3b) but I imagine the effect would be the same.

As it stands I just resort to booting into windows to use Nero...I've been using Mandrake 10.1 for two weeks now, kind of makes me sad to run into something I actually need to touch Lilo for.