Hell With HylaFAX

Sapphiron

I'm trying to set up a fax server. I want to use HylaFAX ( give me a better alternative if you can,PLEASE). I have two incoming fax lines going into 2 PCI internal FAX modems. I also want to add a 3rd external modem for outgoing faxes. I have been having problems at EVERY turn. My current problem is:

:furious3: I DON'T KNOW ON WHICH COM PORT MY PCI MODEM IS YOU STUPID MODEM CONFIG SCRIPT!! :furious3:

I read some thing about adding a modem on "ttySx". I have NO clue what that is.

harddrake picks up my 2 internal modems (Conexant HSF 56k data/fax/voice/Spkp (w/Handset) Modem Worldwide SmartDAA), but when i want to configure them using harddrake I get the following error:

Sorry, we support only 2.4 and above kernels.

I'm running mandrake 10.0 CE

I don't know if this problem affects my first.

I have been Chewing on this problem for 2 whole days PLEASE HELP :help:

Edited by Sapphiron

Is the conexant hsf driver for linux support fax in the first place?

If you want to try faxing and fax receiving, I suggest you use efax first. It's a lot simpler to use. Hylafax is nice if you want to make a fax server of sort, but efax is easier for single user faxing. After you are sure that the fax section of the modem works, then you can try hylafax.

I got a newer modem driver from linmodems.org. I got one for my kernel specifically. It still gives the "Sorry, we support only 2.4 and above kernels. " error, but I can dail the modem to my ISP now. I will set up efax to test the faxing.

Can anyone help me with how to configure the PCI modem in hylafax

Well.. considering that maximum fax speed is about 14.4k, 33.6k is a fast modem :)

The tutorial in hylafax ( http://www.hylafax.org/howto/ ) seems to be updated last on August 2004, which is pretty recent for me. Also, it seems that how hylafax is installed and setup hasn't changed that much throughout the years.

Anyway, here are some more tutorial places. Hopefully it will help

http://www.networknewz.com/2002/0621.html

http://linux.cudeso.be/linuxdoc/hylafax.php

Anyway, my last advice.. ditch the PCI modem and get an external serial modem. PCI modem is usually winmodem and not that well supported under linux.

Well.. let's do this step by step.

First, try faxing with efax, does it work? It is a lot simpler to use so if it works with efax, then the fax modem works.

Second, the explanation about /dev/ttySx is basically the same thing as serial (com) port in MS Windows. /dev/ttyS0 = com port 1, /dev/ttyS1 = com port 2. Since your modem is PCI, this thing doesn't apply to you, since winmodems basically emulate com ports in Windows using the driver. Now, can you point it to /dev/modem instead? Efax allows this but since I don't have hylafax installed, I don't know whether hylafax allow it.