Internal zip drive=failed boot up.

Guest steyrdude

Guest steyrdude

Hello, I recently installed Mandrake 10, but I have a problem. I couldnt install the Linux OS unless I put a zip disk in my internal zip drive, and, if I dont leave the disk in the drive, when I try to boot, it will fail. Does anyone know of a setting that I can change to stop this from occuring? I hate to leave the disk in all the time, and I hate to hit reset everytime I forget to put the disk in. :help: linux

Guest steyrdude

I assume you mean to turn it off in my PCs' BIOS, correct? Ill give it a try, but thats still a hassle to keep turning it on and off. I suspect that the culprit lies in the fact that the Harddrive and the internal zip drive are on the same EIDE chain, and Linux fails to boot because it thinks the zip disk is a hdd, and with out the zip disk in, Mandrake thinks the hard drive is missing. Hopefully, some one knows of a config I can change to stop this, but, overall, if it continues, I guess it will be a minor annoyance :jester:

Guest steyrdude

Here is the contents of the fstab file

/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda7 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=udf:iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/hdd,fs=udf:iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c ntfs umask=0,nls=iso8859-1,ro 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

none /mnt/zip supermount dev=/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part1,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,kudzu,codepage=850 0 0

Well, the zip drive is not set to automount as I suspected but it it is using supermount and kudzu to detect the drive and determine whether any media are present. that's probably what's causing the problem.

Here's your current zip drive line in fstab:

none /mnt/zip supermount dev=/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part1,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,kudzu,codepage=850 0 0

Delete that line and replace it with this:

/dev/hdb1 /mnt/zip vfat user,exec,noauto,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,quiet,umask=0 0 0

You need to be root to edit fstab. to do that, open a console and run:

$ su

<enter root password>

# kwrite /etc/fstab

That will bring up fstab in kwrite with root privileges so you can edit the file. Make the above changes and try rebooting w/o a zip disk in the drive. It should boot OK. If it does, your zip disks will no longer be automounted when you put them in; you'll have to manually mount the drive after inserting a zip disk and unmount it before you remove the disk. If things go OK, post back and I'll show you how to simplify this process by making a mounting icon on your desktop for your zip drive.

Guest steyrdude

Well, after I changed the fstab file, the system crashed when I tried to restart. Upon rechecking the fstab file, this is what I see

/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=udf:iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/hdd,fs=udf:iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0

/dev/hdb1 /mnt/zip vfat user,exec,noauto,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,quiet,unmask=0 0 0

none /mnt/zip2 supermount dev=/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part1,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,kudzu,codepage=850 0 0

/dev/hdb1 /mnt/zip vfat user,exec,noauto,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,quiet,unmask=0 0 0

none /mnt/zip2 supermount dev=/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part1,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,kudzu,codepage=850 0 0

I did delete/add the entries you listed,notice it now has a zip2 entry, pretty wild, huh? Also, it wouldnt let me boot without the zip disk in the drive. Hmmm, I always wondered why I put a zip drive in my machine, and now I know why--to give myself a dose of insane adversity! :screwy:

Guest steyrdude

I disbaled hardrake and hotplug on boot, and the zip mount2 line dissapeared form the fstab file. However, my PC will still fail to boot with out the zip disk in-but on a even stranger note, If I try to access the zip drive in linux, the machine crashes-go figure :wall: