should I update to kernel-2.6.3.16mdk?

I'm currently running kernel-2.6.3.7mdk, while looking aroudn the howto section of this site, I ran into a section that tells you how to check if a newer kernel is available.

kernel-2.6.3.16mdk is available, should I upgrade to it? how do I find out the differences between the two.

I'm using the NVIDIA driver so I assume I will need to re-install them in the new kernel?

I'm currently running kernel-2.6.3.7mdk, while looking aroudn the howto section of this site, I ran into a section that tells you how to check if a newer kernel is available.

kernel-2.6.3.16mdk is available, should I upgrade to it? how do I find out the differences between the two.

Yes, you should. To find out why and what has been patch/fixed, mandrake releases 'Mandrakesoft Security Advisories' that you can find at here. This is the specific one for that kernel:

Package name  kernel

Date  August 26th, 2004

Advisory ID  MDKSA-2004:087

Affected versions  9.1, 9.2, 10.0, MNF8.2, CS2.1

Synopsis  Updated kernel packages fix multiple vulnerabilities

Problem Description

A race condition was discovered in the 64bit file offset handling by Paul Starzetz from iSEC. The file offset pointer (f_pos) is changed during reading, writing, and seeking through a file in order to point to the current position of a file. The value conversion between both the 32bit and 64bit API in the kernel, as well as access to the f_pos pointer, is defective. As a result, a local attacker can abuse this vulnerability to gain access to uninitialized kernel memory, mostly via entries in the /proc filesystem. This kernel memory can possibly contain information like the root password, and other sensitive data.

The updated kernel packages provided are patched to protect against this vulnerability, and all users are encouraged to upgrade immediately.

I'm using the NVIDIA driver so I assume I will need to re-install them in the new kernel?

Yes, you need to do the procedure again, remember than you need to install the kernel and the kernel-sources fot that kernel.