Cross-compiling on Linux for Windows

Hi again,

Since entering the Linux world I guess I'm spiralling further into egg-headness (real word?) or at least I find myself having to learn ever more complex tricks to get what I want.

So I need to build a Win32 binary from cvs, and I'd certainly rather use my Linux system to do it, rather than go :furious3: ing around with CygWin again (bad past experiences). I've read a bit about mingw32 and am still confused by it all. What would be ideal for me is an IDE that incorporates mingw32's abilities (maybe even some cvs support as well?), or at least some noob-friendly info on setting it all up and using it from the shell. Re my competence, I'm comfortable with building things from source, though I'll take an RPM every time if I can get one.

Any suggestions?

If this is for non-commercial use, why not just use borland's free compiler? If it is for windows see

http://borland.com/products/downloads/down..._cbuilder.html#

Cross-Compiling usually has to do with using a different arch, but still running in linux. Like compiling a linux program on your x86 to run on an linux PDA that uses an ARM processor.

Compling code in linux to run in windows can be done with winelib, but it can be a PITA.

[copy of preceding post removed by spinynorman - please use 'add reply' button]

I don't think that will work because the source I get from cvs requires automake, plus it contains symlinks which just disappear when I DL the source into Windows.

I could be wrong - I'm so confused by all of this, my head is spinning. I've built mingw but I don't know actually how to use it!

Never mind. I bit the bullet in the end, and gave CygWin another go (not before failing with mingw on Linux AND windows). Since that's what most of the developers and forum-posters of this particular SF project are using, I guess it makes sense.

The cygwin experience wasn't as painful as I remember, but I guess a bit of experience with Linux has improved my competence (and patience) with *nix and bash. I'd still sooner get a x-compiler working purely for speed reasons, but I guess that can be a long-term project.

Thanks anyhoo - if anyone does have some good tutorial links for setting up mingw, feel free to drop them here (their own docs in the Wiki are a bit impenetrable to me).