Mandrake problem

Guest Bibagi

Hi, I need some help.

1.i want to give 10gb for linux. so how much space need for / and /home and swap.

2. there is also ext3 or ex2 type file system. which one i have to choose for / and /home

3. i am using 256MB ram . so how space req for swap partition

4. i am using mandrake 10 . while useing my linux getting hanged sometimes. i chk the memory information. it shows my physical memory is used more den 90% . so how can i increase the physical memory.

5. How to install rpm file. any way to setup direct to menu? like windows.

Hi Bibagi, welcome to the forum! :headbang:

1.i want to give 10gb for linux. so how much space need for / and /home and swap.

That all depends on what you are going to use your computer for. If i was you I would only make 3 partitions:

/ - 6.5 GB

/home - 3 GB (this is the place where your pc users store their files so increase or decrease this size depending if you are gonna store many files or not.)

swap - 512 MB

By having the /home directory separate from / you have the advantage that if you reinstall you can format the / partition without loosing your files which are safe on the /home partition.

Then after using your computer for a while you can check what directories (/usr, /var, /etc, etc...) take the most hard drive space and take it for a reference for your next installation.

2. there is also ext3 or ex2 type file system. which one i have to choose for / and /home

I only use ext3 for all my partitions. I know people use different File Systems (FS) for the different partitions but im fine with ext3, never had a problem. What im sure about is that you shouldnt use ext2 because is not a journaling FS. The ext3 FS is an enhanced version of ext2 that has journaling which is used to maintain consistency, so its better on protecting data on power failures for example (this is probably not a good definition, but its the best i know :-P )

3. i am using 256MB ram . so how space req for swap partition

With 256 ram i would make the swap partition to be double than that, so 512.

4. i am using mandrake 10 . while useing my linux getting hanged sometimes. i chk the memory information. it shows my physical memory is used more den 90% . so how can i increase the physical memory.

That heavy use of RAM is probably due to kde, which is getting IMHO very demanding in resources. The physical memoriy is the RAM modules installed in your computer, the only way to upgrade those is by buying some more and fixing them to your computer. But if you dont know how to do that, take the computer to the shop so they will do it for you...

5. How to install rpm file. any way to setup direct to menu? like windows.

I dont quite understand this question.

RPMs you can install them by double-clicking on them of via the console as root by typing this command:

urpmi name_of_rpm_package.rpm

UAUUHHH what a looooong post :zzz: :P

The physical memoriy is the RAM modules installed in your computer, the only way to upgrade those is by buying some more and fixing them to your computer.

well, in that case he sould make swap round about 1-2 gb, just in case he adds some ram later on.

How to install rpm file. any way to setup direct to menu? like windows.

the rpm will automatically create a menu entry, once installed. so, nothing to worry about. :)

Hello arctic.

Actually there would be no need for a swap size larger than 500mb at all even if the poster went up to 1gb of memory because with such a large size memory the swap practically never, if ever, gets used anyway. I have read of many here at MUB who have 1gb of memory and NO swap space and have been running trouble free (memory wise) for ages.

I also have 1gb of memory and only the token 500mgb swap and the next time I rearrange my partition sizing I am thinking of eliminating the swap all together. ( Although if I have a memory stick failure and have to continue using just the remaining memory stick then it could be a problem perhaps)

I think the recommended 500mb swap is a good and practical one.

By the way, Is that an actual photo of yourself or a pseudo???.

If it is of yourself then it is fantastic to SEE another member .

Cheers. John. (retired glamour photographer with 24yrs experience)

The general rule of thumb for swap is usually this

swap = 2 x memory

If you have a gigabyte of RAM or more, you may forgo swap drive. But if you have a laptop, you want to keep the general rule of thumb in order to use the suspend to disk feature because suspend use the swap partition.

Anyway, if you check the memory, you will always notice that Linux uses almost all the available memory all the time, no matter how big the memory you have. This is because Linux will use the memory as cache, so the next time you open a program (without rebooting mind you), it will be loaded quicker.

Hope it helps

Guest drakeeula
how to install RPM

U can install the RPM file by typing rpm -v -h followed by the rpm filename at the bash prompt.

or u could also just right click on the rpm file and choose install...

As for the swap, i would agree that 500MB is max

happy installing !