LILO config

aze

Thank you!

the line below is the one which install the linux at MBR

install=/boot/boot-text/boot.b

But now I restored the previous bootloader (XOSL) and lilo is confused.

When I choose to boot Linux, lilo write lots of odd characters on screen.

Damn it lilo! I tried lots of online docs. But I never find a solution for my linux problems at famed "linux doc". Just hundred and more hundred pages with technical issues "linux doc". I never could find a dierect how-to wich solve my problems. damn it "linux doc"!! :x

I just want to learn to install/reinstall/configure lilo. I tried Mandrake control center but it don't apply my changes: it's boring me.

Now I'm locked on win2k thanks to lilo.

I think I'll use my best solution: format my ext3 partitions and reinstall everything again. F*** it! :x

But now I restored the previous bootloader (XOSL) and lilo is confused.
Why??!!! What did you wanted??!!! Now lilo is not confused, simply it is not there anymore!!! you replaced it!!!

Damn it lilo! I tried lots of online docs. But I never find a solution for my linux problems at famed "linux doc". Just hundred and more hundred pages with technical issues "linux doc". I never could find a dierect how-to wich solve my problems. damn it "linux doc"!!  :x

Come on man! Don't give up!!! check it's man page, it's there!!!

man lilo

man lilo.conf <- All the options I've used in my example are there.

also, you'll find all what you wanted to know doing...:

[arusabal@localhost ~]$ locate lilo | egrep "doc|howto"

/usr/share/doc/mandrake/es/images/dx-lilo-where.png

/usr/share/doc/lilo-21.7.5

/usr/share/doc/lilo-21.7.5/README.common.problems.bz2

/usr/share/doc/lilo-21.7.5/INCOMPAT

/usr/share/doc/lilo-21.7.5/README.bz2

/usr/share/doc/lilo-21.7.5/README.graphic.bz2

/usr/share/doc/lilo-21.7.5/CHANGES

/usr/share/doc/lilo-21.7.5/QuickInst

/usr/share/doc/lilo-21.7.5/README.disk.bz2

/usr/share/doc/lilo-21.7.5/bmp2mdk

/usr/share/doc/lilo-21.7.5/COPYING

/usr/share/doc/lilo-doc-21.7.5

/usr/share/doc/lilo-doc-21.7.5/User_Guide.ps

/usr/share/doc/lilo-doc-21.7.5/Technical_Guide.ps

[arusabal@localhost ~]$

Check the /usr/share/doc/lilo-doc-(version)/User_Guide.ps

And ofcourse the "info" pages...

All that info without even connecting to internet. Man don't give up too soon or you'll miss the fun! :wink:

Remember, if lilo fails, there is NO NEED to reinstall, it's just lilo which is failing (not in your case, because lilo is no more there), not the whole system... Check the www.mandrakeuser.org "Emergency Recovery" articles.

This is how lilo works.. Aru already said this but I'll summarize..

You make the text change to the /etc/lilo.conf file. When ready to try it, you must run the lilo program. It will read the /etc/lilo.conf file and process it.

For information on lilo program, type

man lilo

To process your lilo.conf file but not apply it (just a test)

lilo -vt

To process lilo.conf and apply it

lilo

You can also use

lilo -v

This gives you more verbose messages.

Just make sure your /etc/lilo.conf file has the right info. Here is my /etc/lilo.conf file..

boot=/dev/hda

map=/boot/map

vga=normal

default=Windows2000

keytable=/boot/us.klt

prompt

nowarn

timeout=3000

message=/boot/message

menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw

ignore-table

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label=Mandrake9

root=/dev/hdc5

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi"

vga=788

read-only

other=/dev/hda1

label=Windows2000

table=/dev/hda

Thank you guys for helping!

As I said I cannot go into mandrake without lilo (I'm locked into win2k).

Aru wrote:

What did you wanted??!!! 

I still want:

- learn to INSTALL and/or restore lilo (I dont want just you guys say me "do this to fix that". I wanna learn it to solve future problems I myself)

- set it to no graphical menu.

You guys said to me something like:

"Keyboard not found. Press F1 to continue"

How can I use the console if linux is not loading?

As I said I cannot go into mandrake without lilo (I'm locked into win2k).

Aru wrote:

What did you wanted??!!! 

I still want:

- learn to INSTALL and/or restore lilo (I dont want just you guys say me "do this to fix that". I wanna learn it to solve future problems I myself)

Did you see the places where I told you to look at? (all of those docs are already in your harddisk)
- set it to no graphical menu.

So, please, tell me why -the hell- did you overwrite the lilo boot loader, that you finally installed, with the other one

You guys said to me something like:

"Keyboard not found. Press F1 to continue"

How can I use the console if linux is not loading?

No, not exactly, as I told you, before reinstalling you should take a look to the "EMERGENCY RECOVERY" docs at www.mandrakeuser.org; exactly at:

[*]The Mandrake Linux Rescue System

[*]Scenario I: System Doesn't Boot -- exactly where says "...If you are faced with a boot loader failure without having a boot floppy at hand, you have to start one of the external systems..."

My advice is that you should read the full "EMERGENCY RECOVERY" doc; here is the link to the printable version: http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/admin/pri...rint/recov.html

Don't give up, meanwhile you'll learn a lot (That's the best way. Talking from experience) :wink:

Oh I see what you you mean by locked into win2k.

You boot off the Mandrake CD1.

1. Hit F1

2. Type rescue

3. At the graphical menu, select console (I think?). It's the option to go to a console, terminal, or prompt. Not sure of the wording.

4. Type chroot /mnt

Now you can

cd /etc

vi lilo.conf

Let us know if you don't know how to use vi.

Also, at the graphical menu, you can select "Reinstall Bootloader". It may solve your problem.

aze wrote:
Either I wont know what to do in /etc/lilo.conf.

I thought that this is what you wrote:

I told you HOW should be your lilo.conf file (well, EXACTLY how it MUST be to achieve what you wanted).

I told you WHERE to look for the lilo manuals and examples.

I told you WHAT to read in order to know what to do to REVERT your actual situation (linux cant boot because of lilo absence -- your fault, not lilo's as you reinstalled your former boot loader when you told us that you wanted to replace it with lilo).

cannonfodder TOLD you EXACTLY which are the steps to follow (I didn't do that because of your express quote).

so... from my part good luck!

aru, the things we told me to do didn't worked out.

Don't worry about - I already said this - MDK is now reinstalled.

Since I posted this thread I have been asking how to make the lilo with no graphical menu.

That's simple: www.google.com

Were's CANCER solution?

Were to learn about linux?

How to solve that mdk problem?

I didn't come to mandrakeusers.org to listen answers like that.

I know your language is Spanish. So mine is Portuguese. That's not easy to me read lots and lots of junk docs in English just to solve a relatively simple problem. I don't asking "how to make *$%#@&^% with kernel?" I just made a simple question wich I could not find a direct solution here.

Always that: www.google.com / www.f***.com/docs

If I wish this kind of help I didn't come here. ITS A FORUM! I'm talking with humans right? Or there's some bot here?

I asked everyone for teach me how to solve it! Not just pointing some howto/faq

Sorry if my post annoyed you, but to achieve your fomer question --booting lilo in text mode-- I told you what to do many posts ago:

<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->boot=/dev/hda<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->compact # faster, but won't work on all systems, so if unsure, remove it.<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->map=/boot/map<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->vga=normal<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->default=linux<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->keytable=/boot/us-latin1.klt<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->install=/boot/boot-text/boot.b # CHECK THAT THIS FILE EXISTS<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->message=/boot/boot-text/message # CHECK THAT THIS FILE EXISTS<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->prompt  # For the text prompt <!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->timeout = 100 # Time before starting the default image (10 seconds)<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->image=/boot/vmlinuz # See that I have removed the vga=???<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->  label=linux<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->  root=/dev/hda9<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->  initrd=/boot/initrd.img<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->  append="quiet devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi"<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->  read-only<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->image=/boot/vmlinuz<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->  label=failsafe<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->  root=/dev/hda9<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->  initrd=/boot/initrd.img<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->  append="failsafe devfs=nomount hdd=ide-scsi"<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->  read-only<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->other=/dev/hda1<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->  label=windows<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->  table=/dev/hda<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->other=/dev/fd0<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->  label=floppy<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->  unsafe

That lilo.conf should have solved your two problems: lilo pointing to the wrong drive, and lilo running in plain-text-mode (at least in my system works!!!!). But then, you re-rewrote your MBR with your other boot loader. So how do you expect lilo working if it is not there any more?

Also I never pointed you to look at any "www.google.com / www.f***.com/docs". Indeed I told you, as per your own request, to look to your own harddisk's resources and to read the www.mandrakeuser.org docs. Did you read them? Did you see, at least, which was the url I pointed you to? it was MANDRAKE-U-S-E-R.ORG. Those docs MUST be read by any MANDRAKE - USER that wants to learn anything (you said you wanted -- I'm always glad to see such attitude). Sorry if they are in english, but I don't know of any portuguese translation... maybe you should look to any "Connectiva Linux" documentation/manuals about lilo, but that means pointing you to search in google...

Sorry again If my posts didn't help you in anyway.