Bootsplash graphic/frame buffer mode

Ha Ha Ha .

BVC it was you  that convinced me about my thoughts about Grub when I read all your help posts dealing with boot loaders over the past year. :thanks: 

Don't know anything about vi.  I have only used vim for the Nvidia driver install routine.  Also I only use the command line mode for installing source programs  so I don't know a lot about command line either.

However I get by and still have a good operating system that does what I want.  Not too bad for a Great GrandFather huh. 

I sense you have been or are having difficult times at the moment.  I hope things go well for you quickly. :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs: 

Cheers.                    John.

thx! :thumbs:

...and you know vi, and didn't know it ;)

[root@localhost root]# which vi
/bin/vi
[root@localhost root]# file /bin/vi
/bin/vi: symbolic link to `/etc/alternatives/vi'
[root@localhost root]# file /etc/alternatives/vi
/etc/alternatives/vi: symbolic link to `/usr/bin/vim-enhanced'
[root@localhost root]# file /usr/bin/vim-enhanced
/usr/bin/vim-enhanced: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
[root@localhost root]# which vim
/bin/vim
[root@localhost root]# file /bin/vim
/bin/vim: symbolic link to `/etc/alternatives/vim'
[root@localhost root]# file /etc/alternatives/vim
/etc/alternatives/vim: symbolic link to `/usr/bin/vim-enhanced'
[root@localhost root]# file /usr/bin/vim-enhanced
/usr/bin/vim-enhanced: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
[root@localhost root]#

Edited by bvc

I was only joking. I was comparing lilo and grub to the emacs vs. vi flamewars of the past on usenet.

I hope you don't harbor any hard feelings against me for saying what I did in my previous post.

Wrong thinkliberty. 

I am not an emacs user and I wouldn't know what it was if it hit me.  I am simply one who follows a set of instructions that have been laid out by people who know a whole lot more about a subject than I do. 

Maybe you don't, but I am one who was trained to READ THE MANUAL FIRST and don't presume you ( meaning me) know.  When an instruction says use vim then that is what I use.    In another thread involving an NVIDIA driver install problem, (which you are probably alluding to) a poster had no end of trouble because he made what seemed a minor insignificant change to the procedure, namely using vi instead of the advised vim.  I have NEVER had a problem installing or reinstalling the nvidia driver on my machine or two other friends machines which have different nvidia video cards.  I do not think good luck had anything to do with it  and I am not a trained and certified computer tech so I follow instructions exactly.   

Grub is rapidly becoming the default for LINUX OSs from what I am hearing.  The fact that LILO has been out much longer does NOT make it superior, only older.

It is not as user friendly as Grub but this would not matter to a geek who thinks user friendly is sissy woosses stuff.  To them if it isn't difficult to use then it cannot be any good.   

Like most computer users, I like to use my machine for actual work and playing with it is only sideline interest.

John.

No problem thinkliberty.

I took no offence because I suspected it might just be a fun dig, hence my reserved reply.

You certainly are right about the many "this versus that" flame wars that go on. That is why I almost always try to use or to give actual reasons for choosing one over another. :thumbs:

Hi BVC. I did not know all that stuff was in there :woops: When you are on a post I am ALWAYS learning something but I often wonder if it all makes me any wiser. :D :D