disk partitions. adding/resizing.

mikeoneil

Hi,

I installed mandrake 9.0 some weeks ago onto a new computer and accepted all the defaults during installation. This left me with / = 3.5Gb, /swap = 256Mb and /home = 76Gb. I have since reduced /home in size and added a /media to keep photos etc. What I would like to do now is create seperate (much larger) new partitions for /usr and /var.

Diskdrake does not allow me to simply increase the size of / presumably because it is immediately followed by the other partitions. I've done searches on this forum and others but not really found what I'm looking for. I saw a post that suggested that a new partition with the same name as an existing directory will automatically copy all data over.??

How can I safely create these two new partitions? I can leave / as 3.5Gb and have 20 Gb at the end of the disk currently unused for anything. In fact, is it posible at all? I'd also like to double the size of /swap. I have only Mandrake 9.0 on this machine and the disk is an IBM 80Gb with 256Mb RAM.

I'll just note that when I resized /home and created /media with diskdrake I was asked to reboot which I did. I then got a 'superblock' error and a refusal to boot futher. Not really knowing what to do, I was able to launch diskdrake from the console mode as su and repeat what I had already done from X/KDE.

Thanks for any advice..

Mike

The easist way to is to simply do it over. Backup any files and note what software you have installed.

You can also try messing with ranish partition mananger although I don't have personal experience with it, its often mentioned as a good partitioning tool.

Last of all you can try using partimage to backup partitions to Cd and recreate them in their new size. However, you can't restore to a smaller partition so you may need a temp partition that allows you to restore and then copy the files to the destination (only if its smaller).