no gui on boot

Guest mgxplyr

Guest mgxplyr

OK i'm a newbie :headbang: and i dont know much about linux when not inside gui. So i installed mandrake 10.0 today and when i'm booting i choose linux in lilo and it does all the start-up stuff and it says [OK] for all the stuff and when its done with that it says welcome to mandrake linux 10.0...and its asking me for the user...so i type in my name user name and root password and i log in...and then i got myusername@localhost:$ something like that and i dont know how to get into any GUI from here like KDE or gnome...i did check them during the installation...

Please HELP!!

After logging in, type "startx" on the command line. A word of caution: root should only be used when making changes to the system. For good computing, make an everyday user for ....everyday! Root is god, (in a non religious sense, please do not censor me) and can render your system worthless by mistake!

Guest mgxplyr

ok i logged in with a standard username and typed in startx in the command promp, and then i get all this text, but i dont get into the GUI, i just come back to the command prompt. I did notice it said XIO: fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on x server ":0.0" and also fatal server error: no screen found

is there any way to fix this or should i reinstall?

What this means is that your video card is not configured correctly. So, what video card do you have? There is no need to reinstall. The linux system is actually working. We just need to get "x" configured correctly so that you have a gui. Su to root and type "xfdrake" in order to get to the x configuration file. But first, let's gather the info we will need for the configuration. Type of video card and monitor, please.

Guest mgxplyr

The graphics are onboard : intel 82810 graphics controller

I dont know what the monitor is...its emachine brand name, and the max res in windows for it is 1024x768. im just using an old machine for testing for now, and maybe i'll move it to a better machine later. thanks for helpiN!

As root type:

XFdrake

This will bring up your video card config. In here, you can choose the appropriate driver that corresponds with your video card, then you would choose your monitor. If it's not listed, chose a generic one that corresponds to the one you have. I'm not sure which driver you are meant to choose for your card. Maybe a standard vga driver or vesa.