running .sh from a command line?

Guest thefunkeymonkey

Guest thefunkeymonkey

Hi there. Im very new to mandrake, only other operating systems ive used have been windows for quite some time.

Im having problems with the first step to installing my ati gfx card drivers. It says "If you are not sure which version of XFree86 you have installed, please download and run Check.sh from a command line to find out. "

What do i type in the console to do this?

I ended up downloading all 3 versions of the driver (each one had a different xfree version number next to it). Tried them all but at the start of each installation i got this error message:

"installation failed:

file /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2 from install of fglrx-4.3.0-3.11.1 conflicts with file from package libxfree86-4.3-30mdk"

Any ideas?

Thanks

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome to the board :)]

you've installed the ATI drivers at some point haven't you?

You should probably try removing them first, then installing the nvidia driver, you'll want the one which is for xfree 4.3

if the nvidia driver is an rpm, you could also try force installing that, it might work, but its your funeral.

Guest thefunkeymonkey

Cheers for the quick replies.

Yeah ive installed ati drivers on my windows installation, i thought i had to do the same for my linux installation (got them on dual boot). I dont have an nvida card mate just a ati one.

Things got worse after i rebooted after attempting to install my gfx card drivers, it seems now that my linux is stuck in console mode. I cant get to the desktop when i start up, just end up stuck in a dos like thing.

Guest thefunkeymonkey

Just did that now, it made many lines of text flash down the screen, then i got some IO erors and somthing about a xfree server connection error.

Mandrake is lovely when u can acutally get into the thing but it seems a bit too fragile as all i tried to do was install a driver for my graphics card and its completly buggerd up. I'll stick it out though for a while before abandoning it.

Anybody got any other ideas to try?