KDE runnning sssllllooooooowwwwwww

Guest Vijizzle

Guest Vijizzle

Sup,

Im running a pIII 550 with 64mb ram and a 10gb harddrive.

Ive partitioned the hard drive as:

-1.5gb shared partition (between linux and win98)

-2.5gb linux kernal and stuff

-0.5gb swp partition

-the rest is win

Im a linux newbie, so bear with me a lil......

After I finally resolved a dispute between bootMagic and lilo I had mandrake up and running.

The only problem was that it ran slow, for example open office took about 10-15 minutes to launch (and when it did it was in another language), the console takes about 5 minutes to load up. Even when it loads up the bit where it configures the system and shows the little icons, like the spanner and stuff takes ages).

Why is KDE running so slow how do I fix it. Its frustrating because I want to play around but it takes so long for anything to load. (this is worse then programming in C).

I think that this may have something to do with my swap partition. Do i need to activate it? How do I do this? When i look at the partitions in partitinMagic it says its formatted.

Is there anything else I can do.

When i was installing mandrake I had to do a text install because i "didnt have the sys resources to do it normally", does my sys not have enough resources to run KDE.

Please be as detailed as possible.

Thanks

:afro:

mdk 10.0 or 9.2?

swap might be a little small...but if it's mandrake 10, that might be your problem...it runs really slow for me too...my comp's a celeron, 667MHz, 320MB RAM (I upgraded from 64)...9.2 runs ok, but I still can't use KDE or GNOME...You might want to try using IceWM instead, that should be faster...I actually have a 3.5gig swap myself...lol...I don't notice any difference on 9.2, but when I tried out 1.0, I noticed a difference from .5 to 1, from 1 to 2, and from 2 to 3.5...lol...but I'm sure someone here is gonna say you'll never use that much swap and it's just a waste of hard drive space...

Edited by Urza9814

Well your memory is low. kde is resource hungery. You probably made your swap too bug as well if it's 500 mb, but that's another story. I would recommend either upgrading your memory or use a lighter window manager such as XFce if you want that desktop feeling or Fluxbox if tyou want to try something different. For Open Office, in the tips and tricks, it explains a way to make Open Office open faster, but it is primarily a ram issue.

OO is RAM hungry.....and your stuck with it if you wanna use it!

KDE has options...

Turn off the effects like animated menu's etc.

Also you might have lots of mini serve4r stuff running that is eating some memory ... many services can be run on demand (like the ftp server doesnt start until someone polls port 21)

ultimately though a lighter WM will be faster...

if you use lots of apps and they are all KDE its quite efficient (once its loaded) but if you use miscellaneous apps with gtk and other libs then its a memory hog...