mdk 10 OE: Installation Freezes

dcook32p

I'm using a Gateway Solo 5300 notebook PC configured as follows:

600 MHz Intel Pentium III

128 MB SDRAM

Intel 440BX chipset

S3 Savage3 graphics

Intel EtherExpress PRO 100 integrated ethernet

The system does not have a CD-ROM drive, so I am using the floppy/net install.

I boot from the first floppy, and everything loads fine. It prompts me for the netdriver floppy to install the etherexpress driver. That works fine. I load the installer from secsup.org using FTP. That works fine.

Everything works great up until when I reach the summary page. I see the "not configured" by the graphic display options, and I configure my S3. It tests okay. I also change my time zone to be correct (America_Chicago, use GMT, use NTP).

I click "Next", and it prompts me to install updates. Strange that I've never had this work on CD installs - just this once on a net install. I've tried it both ways, too - installing updates and not installing updates.

That's when the system freezes up (after downloading the updates if I choose to do so). I can't change consoles. I can't move the mouse.

Any ideas?

yes. Don't worry about it. Three versions of mandrake has froze on me at the summary sceren. The first thing I do is configure the bootloader or anything critical to my setup to enable me to have a working box after reboot. Then I continue on to lesser things. If it freezes...everything else can be configured later.

Edited by bvc

I concur, and do your updates after rebooting. You can wait a little, can't you? :cheesy:

As far as updating is concerned, this issue occurs even if I don't install the updates.

I'm trying to install SuSE 9.1 Personal Edition on here now - so far so good.