Update problem with mdk 9.2

ChrisM

After months of hair ripping, I abandoned the speedtouch330 and opted for an all in one router/modem/firewall. MDK9.2 is now quite happily installed on our home Pcs (except this one with M$ ME which days are numbered). Anyway, joy joy, at last I can access the internet using Mandrake - such a joy, problems with just 1 for months, and now I've got three all accessing the net at the same time :D

After install and connections were made all round I tried to update, and on the 2 boxes I tried, get the exact same problem.

I needed to update security patches from the MCC and downloaded all of them to be on the safe side.

On reboot - my desktop icons had been replaced with little blue folders. My programme icons too had been replaced, worse still, most of the programmes had been deleted/removed/lost. This happened on 2 boxes. Any ideas?

I've reinstalled on them both, so now I have a home network which is running and is great, but lacks all security updates.

If any one has this problem - I believe its a bug in 9.2 - then the way to overcome this issue and install updates is as spiedra suggests, but a little more.

I tried update-menus -v in Konsole, but it didn't work.

The way to overcome this is to reboot into a text screen (similar to a konsole) - at the Lilo prompt, hit the 'Escape' key. If your default is 'linux' then type 'linux 3'.

type 'update-menus -v' and a screen of script will appear. When the cursosr rests, hit the 'Enter' key.

You should now be logged in as user, again type 'update-menus -v' .

When the cursor rests, hit the 'Enter' key once again, and type 'startx'

You'll be taken to your desktop and hopefully your missing icons and programmes will reappear, and you should also have your updates installed.

look in /var/cache/urpmi/rpms for uninstalled downloads.