Upgrading 9.2: Konstruct or Portage?

Guest shodan

Guest shodan

Just wanted to get people's experiences / opinions on upgrading MDK9.2 using either Gentoo's Portage or KDE's Konstruct. I've already tried upgrading to 10, but had nothing but problems with it (and I have lots of customized stuff in 9.2).

Right now I'm leaning towards using Portage because I have a decent amount of experience with Gentoo and of course it can upgrade more than just KDE. :)

Konstruct looks interesting because the readme mentions "Detektive", which looks like it will make upgrading 9.2 easier.

Anyone have advice on "Gentoo-ifying" Mandrake with Portage or with upgrading KDE with Konstruct?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest azuer88

Hi,

I am a relatively new MDK user (and linux for that matter, but don't think I'll ever switch). I don't really have an advice for you, but just thought I'd let you know that i've used konstruct with little problem.

I am using 9.2 download edition. ( I am looking into how to get 10 official).

So far, I have upgraded to KDE 3.2.3 then to 3.3.

Upgrading to 3.2.3 using konstruct was a breeze, although that took the whole weekend to compile (running on a notebook PIII 600Mhz).

Detektive did tell me what packages needed to be upgraded, though it wasn't very clear on some of the packages saying I MAY need to upgrade. Did urpmi, and some manual upgrades (can't remember which) and just went ahead and did it.

Upgrading to 3.3, I encountered an error. Upgraded autoconf, and that fixed it.

I have 3.1, 3.2.3, and 3.3 in my notebook! Thought I'd keep the previous version just in case I had to revert.

But now I want to remove the prior version and install 3.3 as my base.

I did have some problems installing some apps which needed glib-2.0. It was looking at my base which had an older glib-2.0 and not in my KDE3.3 installdir, which did have the needed libs. I had to do some tweaking on the apps dependency files to get it to compile.

So now, off I go in search of how to replace my base 3.1 with 3.3. tsk. tsk.

Just wanted to get people's experiences / opinions on upgrading MDK9.2 using either Gentoo's Portage or KDE's Konstruct. I've already tried upgrading to 10, but had nothing but problems with it (and I have lots of customized stuff in 9.2).

Right now I'm leaning towards using Portage because I have a decent amount of experience with Gentoo and of course it can upgrade more than just KDE. :)

Konstruct looks interesting because the readme mentions "Detektive", which looks like it will make upgrading 9.2 easier.

Anyone have advice on "Gentoo-ifying" Mandrake with Portage or with upgrading KDE with Konstruct?

Thanks!

It's good to see azuer88's konstruct experiences. It's the first good konstruct experience I've heard of....but then I don't keep up with the kde stuff. I'd definately give that a whirl first. Portage? Yeah right.....doesn't work on gentoo why would it work in mandrake ? :P (that'll go over well :lol: :devil::screwy::furious3::cheeky: ) JMO/experience folks...relax!

Coming from a person that had an almost up2date ML-8.1 done from cli and gnorpm when ML-9.0 was released, the next thing is urpmi. Now you're talkin rpm hell, I know....but it's the nature of the beast. What OS upgrades well? Seriously? None in fact/history yet I went from 9.2>10-beta1>10-beta2>10-CE>10-OE>10-cooker>10.1-beta1 with only a 2 week downtime (might have been less if I checked more often) because of mandrake pulling XFree86-4.4 and screwing up kde (what was I doing in kde? :lol: ), so I used my debian install.

Why not just install 10-OE + updates or wait for 10.1 or go cooker when and if 3.3 is there? Why upgrade? Dialup? That's no excuse. I did it from 9.0 to 9.1. Why not put the pc to work while you sleep? That's what I did on dial up. Took about 2 weeks but it's better than a buggy sys.