Problem with SAMBA

Guest vgbvn

Hi all,

My computer is Mandrake 10 official, my friend's computer is Windows Xp , both are connected on a LAN. I have a Internet Cable connection on my computer and I config successfully the Internet connection sharing, it means that my friend can access intenet from his WIndows XP throught the internet connection on my computer running Mandrake Linux. The problem my friend can ping my laptop, neither I , even I've seted his IP in the host file . I setted my samba server corectly and tested successfully with smbclient command, but my friend can't find my computer in his Network Neiboorhood, neither do I. Please help me ...

Try to connect directly to the address. I.E> open up 'My Computer' and in the address bar type in \\yourip\share\

Linux computers will very seldomly show up in Window's Network Places or Network Neighbourhood, depending on the configuration... and you don't need them to.

i am also having problems with samba, and yes i have read at least 3- 4 tutorials, they all basicly say the same thing. yet still i was having troubles.

then i typed the the ip adress as you said (192.168.0.1) in my win xp box, and......it worked :)

so i can share my linux box and access it from windows, however it only half works. i cant acess my windows files from my linix box,

i type

"smb:/"

in konqueror it shows the wokgroup "mshome" it shows my windows box, but not the directorys i have shared ??? and yes i have shared directorys.

any one know what could be causing it ?

i am also having problems with samba, and yes i have read at least 3- 4 tutorials, they all basicly say the same thing. yet still i was having troubles.

then i typed the the ip adress as you said (192.168.0.1) in my win xp box, and......it worked :)

so i can share my linux box and access it from windows, however it only half works. i cant acess my windows files from my linix box,

i type

"smb:/"

in konqueror it shows the wokgroup "mshome" it shows my windows box, but not the directorys i have shared ??? and yes i have shared directorys.

any one know what could be causing it ?

How did you share them? Are they completely open? Do you have a firewall running on your Windoze box?

update,

ok u know how my linix server didnt show up in "my network places" in windows XP. and had to manualy type in the IP adress (192.168.0.1) in my windows box to get it working,

well now for some reason it dose show up, eventhough i havent changed anything. its shows up as,

"samba sever 3.0.2a) then under that in brackets it says (cpe-144.133.XXX.XXX) which is my ip adress for my net connection.

my question is, shouldnt it say 192.168.0.1 because that is my LAN ip.

OK so the way I get this is your computer has 2 Nics. One for your internet connection and one for your local Lan. Correct?

And you have no firewall running??

As for finding the linux box. via windows explorer try this:

Open Explorer

click on "My Network Places"

click on "Entire Network"

RIGHT CLICK on "Microsoft Windows Network"

select "explore"

new window should open with listed workgroups.

If you are shareing a connection via one box I highly advise you get a firewall up. I almost sounds like you are shareing your folders with the world....

OK so the way I get this is your computer has 2 Nics. One for your internet connection and one for your local Lan. Correct?

Open Explorer

select  "explore"

If you are shareing a connection via one box I highly advise you get a firewall up. I almost sounds like you are shareing your folders with the world....

If you're behind a router or switch, why would you need to turn on internet connection sharing? I have 3 computers networked together and never did any special configurations to them. They all had access from the time I plugged them into my router.

Open Explorer

select  "explore"

If you're behind a router or switch, why would you need to turn on internet connection sharing? I have 3 computers networked together and never did any special configurations to them. They all had access from the time I plugged them into my router.

that only works for ADSL, not for for cable (with my isp anyway)

thats besides the point, i want to setup my linux box as my router