confused partitioning question

quartz01

I know this is probley the dumbest question ever asked and its probly been asked be4, but i got a little confused reading other peoples posts about the subject and just wanted to be sure i am doing it right so i don't mess up my computer.

when making a partition for Mandrake 10.0 OS, what do i make the file system type??

FAT

FAT32

NTFS

Linux Ext2

Linux Ext3

Linux Swap

:thanks:

p.s. if you haven't noticed i am a total noob to linux, trying to get away from M$ hell

I'd go with reiserfs. FAT, FAT32 and NTFS are windows fielsystems. The most common linux filesystems are reiserfs, ext3 and ext2 although there are many other native linux filesystems. It's not possible to install to NTFS and it may no longer be possible to install to FAT or FAT32. Even if it is no one would ever try it unless they had a specific unique need to do so.

Swap is a special partition that you setup for linux which is used when you run out of ram. You can't install anything on a swap partition; it's just there in case linux needs it. The old formula was that swap should be twice the size of your ram but with todays high ram configurations, the upper limit on swap should be 1GB and if you have more than 500MB of ram, you will rarely go into swap.

Mandrake has it's own partitioning tools and is capable of partitioning and formating to all the common linux filesystems. the easyiest way is to leave some space unallocated on your hard drive(unpartitioned) usually at the end of the drive and during the install direct mandrake to install on the unallocated space. It will automatically partition and format to the chosen filesystem.