Can see but not use printer

Guest CaptainRegular

Guest CaptainRegular

I have a MDK10 box running on a local network of all WinXP machines, and wanted to use the Linux box as a print server. I had done it before pretty easily with another XP Pro box (P 166, slow, but worked) and thought I could eliminate a computer. I want ANYBODY on the network to be able to print with NO PASSWORDS. I already have Samba set up to share a directory with the same parameters, totally open. Now I want my printer (DeskJet 812C) to do the same thing. I have TCP/IP and IPX and all the standard Clients installed on all the XP PCs, and the Linux box is on 24/7, and the printer is on a parallel port. The printer works fine from within Linux, and the Windows XP boxes can all SEE it and make little setting changes in their own dialog boxes, but can't actually print.

Attempt to do a test page gets "Test page failed to print. Troubleshooter? Unable to create print job."

An attempt to print from Notepad gives me "A StartDocPrinter call was not issued." I pretty much let Mandrake do this all on it's own and it showed up in Windows, I looked at the cups.conf and smb.conf files to see what it might be, but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?

Guest CaptainRegular

Neither of those worked. I put that line in the smb.conf file, under the [printers] section, but it made no difference after I restarted samba. And neither of the two address were recognized. The IP address of my linuxbox on the local network is 192.168.1.130, but I tried variations on that and on the one listed in the last post.