After updates, kde all messed up!

Guest cgl

Hi there.

I really need help. I have mandrake 10.0 installed. today I ran the updates in mandrake control center. I checked the "All" box since I could nt be bothered sifting through the 100 updates listed. The updating took about 30 minutes.

After updates had finished the fonts and screen widths in kde based are all messed up.

I can hardly read them because the distance between the letters is 2 times wider than it should be! Konqueror, every window title, star menu items... all!

If anyone has an idea about wich update could have caused this and what the means to remove this curse is, please let me know. Thanks

Cgl

Ps. If someone can explain to me how to save a screenshot, I will post one.

hi, cgl. :)

maybe, we can fix it... first of all, how did you set up your updating mirrors? where did you grab from? did you use easyurpmi (do you even know of easyurpmi?)?

are you using mdk10ce or oe?

can you make a snapshot with ksnapshot? try and post the result it here if possible. maybe it is only your gui that got a bit "irritated". what happens, if you open XFdrake in console? what settings do you have?, what information does mcc give you about your graphics system (graphics-card details please)?

Edited by arctic

Sorry, wrong move. Here is the snap shot.

To answer the other questions. Yes I was using easyurpmi

Mandrake 10.0 downloaded and with the md5 ok, 3 cd's.

I used the update function for the first time today.

the update mirrors were setup with the easyurpmi.

What is fxdrake?

Hardware listing and graphics card listed are the correct ones.

cgl

post-6539-1092838064_thumb.jpg

jesus!!!! :o

well, open the konsole and log in as root (typing su then password). then type XFdrake and you will see the display settings and if something got screwed up there, so take a close look at it.

also try opening the k-control center (i hope you can do so) and try using another font. maybe it is some font-iso-stuff that is causing you this trouble, but i must admit, i have never seen something that strange in all my life. so, we have to experiment to find a solution. :P

i wish you (us?) good luck nonetheless. :thumbs:

Arctic

thanks for you help and patience with people learning like myself.

Well it turns out something got screwed up in my default settings. The update must have done something to the default font file for kde, because they were all reset to something called "sans" and the effect is quite dramatic as you could see in the previous post.

Thyme on the IRC had me install the font rpm package that he made up and reboot. and now I have been able to change all the fonts in the KDE lookandfeel fonts menu.

It's too bad that I lost the settings that came with the fist default install of mdk 10.0, it was a nice change from XP and now I cannot seem to find the same feel by choosing myself...

I'm happy to have my computer back to working condition!

cheers

cgl

Thyme, Thanks again. :thanks:

well if anyone has the original font settings for mandrake 10.0 please go to

Configure => configure your desktop=> looknfeel=>fonts

Use ksnapshot (I learned something today!) and post a snapshot like mine below...

I would be very greatful!

Cgl

post-6539-1092844024_thumb.jpg

mhm... as i thought, the font setting got changed... but the question is: which damn font was it that was so wide that a desktop gets "unusable"? and who designs such a freaky font??? :lol:

Edited by spinynorman