Ok I'm getting sick of non-working sound..

mte

hello,

until now i had some problems - drivers were loaded any I could hear music with xmms ONLY. But now I restarted pc and at boot everyhing's ok (mixer, alsa, ...) but as I come in kde I get this message:

Error while initializing the sound driver:

device: default can't be opened for playback (No such file or directory)

The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

I can see there's no /dev/dsp. And again - at boot there was no error message about it just the normal green "OK".

I have nforce2 chipset with realtek ac650 onboard sound (or sth like that) plus a terratec pci card.

Btw - all i could think of I could break was to upgrade mandrake using the urpmi update - i didn't play with settings or i set them back where they were..

Please help..i lost much nerves with this problem already..

Edited by mte

Wow great!!! after all the pain of searching and asking..finally sound works through the onboard audio. Thanks man very much!!

Although I'm more than happy that it works now - i'd like to setup also the terratec one.

If I do a modprobe snd-ice1712 (the driver that should work with it) I can see it in xmms config but if i select it i get an error:

Couldn't open audio

Please check that:

Your soundcard is configured properly

You have the correct output plugin selected

No other program is blocking the soundcard

any idea?

Thanks again..

Matej

somewhere there is a file called modules.autoload but i can't remember the exact directory, perhaps /etc

you can add the module in there...

but I would suggest trying to use Mandrake Control Center -> Hardware -> Hardware Detection to change the driver for your card. it should be listed there and running the config tool should give you a driver option. either way should work, just MCC may do some mandrake-specific things.

edit: i just noticed devries already suggested using Mandrake Control Center