Loads of questions:

marafa

like for starters

why is it that i cant use konqueror to log on to THIS site? i got to use mozilla or galeon or somethign else:?:

then ..why is it that my hp 5l foomatic + grey CUPS server sometimes doesnt see the printer ..thereby telling the workstation to also drop the printer from cups? :?:

then why is it that my hp scanjet 2200c usb is seen immediately after boot and only then?

then why is it that kdeprintfax was working one day and not the next? and there were no changes in the syntax either!

then ..y is it that hotmail/compose/attach button is missing from konqueror but not moz/gal/other browser?

i got more .. just that i cant remember them ...

oh yeah .. supermount .. i saw the post but i read somewhere it was fixed!!!

I'm just going to answer the questions I can :oops: :

You cannot use konqueror to browse the internet because it is a file browser (like windoze' file browser) it is not integrated with mozilla (like windows file browser is with IE).

In Linux things stick to the job they are supposed to do.

There have been updates for foomatic and cups since the release of 9.0 so try to update them before we tackle the other possible problems.

On the Mandrake menu, go to Configuration -> Hardware -> USB View (you might have to install USB View first) and see if your scanner is listed. You might just not have the right stuff installed to utilise it.

Supermount is unreliable and causes problems, do this:

# supermount -i disable

Rather mount things yourself when you need them.

And that's all the answers I have in me at the moment :wink:

ok .. i m gonna correct ur misunderstanding ..

konqueror IS a browser which is why it is named as it .. navigator, explorer, konqueror. konqueror.kde.org

my apologies to the cups thing .. i did all the updates .. i m on the latest and still got problems . its not the printer as it works fine on windows.

yeah .. i read up on that b4 i posted then forgot about it.

and yes .. the scanner is listed in usbview but not in scanimage -L nor in xscanimage .. only immediately in boot up and one or the other

Guest Mandrake_Mouse

Your Konquerer issues may be related to Java or javascript. Make sure Java is enabled globally in Konqueror. This is only a suggestion, as I haven't used KDE in ages. I find Fluxbox w/ Gentoo as the file manager and Phoenix as my browser tends to tie up less resources. :D

why is it that i cant use konqueror to log on to THIS site? i got to use mozilla or galeon or somethign else:?

C'mon... Konqueror is a decent filemanager... but thats about it... I have problems with most sites I have visited with Konqueror, let alone this one. In all likelyhood its javascript. And advanced html tags... see that iframe when you reply to a post... Not many browsers support that! Maybe Konqueror does, I haven't checked, but there's a zillion reasons why Mozilla is a better choice for browsing.

why is it that my hp scanjet 2200c usb is seen immediately  after boot and only then?

As for scanner problems, good luck. I would recommend downloading the tarballs for the most recent SANE backends, and the newest XSANE gui and compile them yourself. Forget about RPMs. Even if there have been recently released RPMs for the most recent versions, you will probably have dependency problems. I'm afraid you'll probably have to bite the bullet. Also make sure you have the drivers for your scanner (usually a .bin file on the installation CD somewhere) on your PC. Ignore what Scanner-drake says. If your scanner problems are anything like mine were, you wont get your scanner to work by trying to configure it with scanner-drake.

Dude, you really ought to post these as separate topics if you want people to read them

As for the scanner problem, you really shouldn't try to fix it any more unless you have installed the most recent sane-backends and xsane.

I had all kinds of scanner problems until I updated these apps. Now I have none.

Please post these questions in seperate issues for better responses.

Some thoughts:

Supermount is an incredible goof. Using it means you will have really excellent and unsolvable problems. Turn it off.

Your collection of problems together makes me think you may have some errors on your cd's. But that may only be because I am looking at a collection. I would be tempted to dnld some specific files and reinstall those areas.

My scanner shows up but cannot be used BECAUSE I have not taken the time to configure this beast that was intended for windows. Some fakescanners, or winscanners, are usable in linux if some programer has made the driver. A Visioneer 6300usb uses a very common winusbfakescanner chip, which I have read, some soul has made work, after comiling the kernel for its use. I haven't got around to that yet.

Hey, where else could you have this much fun with a computer?

• 3 weeks later...
Hey, where else could you have this much fun with a computer?

where else could you have so much fun with a production computer?

dude, what are you doing experimenting with a production computer? even if you only have one computer you should have a backup plan (dual-booting perhaps) in place.

anyway, havent read the whole thread so it might be a joke and im biting it. :mystismiles:

ciao!

Just in case you think everyone has these problems in MDK Linux, they do not.

I use MDK 9.00 I have two printers, (one USB ), one scanner , a digital camera, USB mouse,

And I use supermount. All work perfectly with little or no configuration needed.

MDK 8.2 ?? lots of problems there, but they can be solved with some research on this board.

As has been said above, posting so many questions in one post is unlikely to get many responses. Please also REM to include the specs of your computer and version of MDK installed in your posts, it helps to answer your questions more easily.