gnome settings override X settings

coverup

On my laptop, Gnome apps (evo, galeon, even mcc - uses the same fontsize) use a quite large font for menus and toolbars when run in KDE. This seems to be a known issue, the fix is to start gnome-settings-daemon when KDE starts, eg, by putting a link to gnome-settings-daemon in KDE's Autosatrt folder.

The problem is that on my system, gnome-settings-daemon slows down the keyboard. I have the option AutoRepeat set in XF86Config-4 to speed up the keyboard, it seems that gnome-settings-daemon overrides this setting. I have to manually restore those settings by typing

$ xset r rate 200 60

in bash konsole. I tried running gnome-settings-daemon from the console and got this:

$ gnome-settings-daemon &
[1] 3615
$ xset r rate 200 60

** (gnome-settings-daemon:3615): WARNING **: /desktop/gnome/accessibility/keyboard/bouncekeys_beep_reject changed

** (gnome-settings-daemon:3615): WARNING **: /desktop/gnome/accessibility/keyboard/slowkeys_beep_accept changed

** (gnome-settings-daemon:3615): WARNING **: /desktop/gnome/accessibility/keyboard/stickykeys_two_key_off changed

** (gnome-settings-daemon:3615): WARNING **: /desktop/gnome/accessibility/keyboard/stickykeys_modifier_beep changed

Hey Gnome people, how can I get my keyboard speed back (except for manually reset it of course)?

run:

gconf-editor

and expand desktop -> gnome -> accesibility -> keyboard in the panel on the left. the fields and values are on the right, just click on the boxes for the appropiate values (they are in your quote there) to make them checked. make sure gnome-settings-daemon is running.

I'd have to experiment to figure that out...

but what you could do is put a small bash script in your Autostart directory which runs both, i.e.:

#!/bin/bash
#start gnome-settings-daemon and reset key rate

gnome-settings-daemon &
xset r rate 200 60 &

call the file whatever.sh and make sure it's set as exectuable.

tyme's way will surely work. But there may be an easier way. I noticed that whatever settings you make in gnome using the config tools inside gnome carry over to kde if you start the gnome-settings daemon in kde. I noticed this when I was fooling around in gnome with gnome screen savers which are generally much better than the kde ones. Without thinking about it, I left the gnome screen saver activated in gnome set to come on after 15 minutes. I went back into kde and after 15 minutes of inactivity the gnome screen saver started. Kind of freaked me out because I don't usually use any screen saver in kde and had disabled the kde screensavers. Logged back into gnome and deactivated the screen saver and the change carried over to kde. My hunch would be that if you set your keyboard behavior in gnome that the settings would carry over to kde if you have the gnome settings daemon running.

that's what we're trying to do through gconf-editor :) I don't know of any settings in the gnome control center which allow you to set these things. if you either figure out what the right options are in gconf-editor or find them in the gnome control center both would provide the same results.

i'm just not at home so i can't look at gconf-editor. i'll try to remember to do that tonight.

Thanks for replies, everyone.

Believe me or not, I started with the script, just as tyme suggested. It did not work...I tried tweaking gnome-editor options to no avail. Then I asked for help...

Nontheless, I created the script again and placed it in ~/.kde/Autostart/

#!/bin/bash
#
# my font and kbd settings

killev &
/usr/bin/gnome-settings-daemon &
xset r rate 200 60 &

It starts with killing evolution daemons, otherwise evo would refuse to start after network profiles change (laptop).

A funny thing when the last two commands are run from the same script, every 2nd run kdm crashes and restarts the very same instance I am touching the keyboard! This does not happen, if I put separate links to Autostart folder.

A close inspection of logs reveals that gconfd is started twice, the second instance of gconfd complains about the lock file.. Anyway, here is the tail of the logs:

Aug 18 17:48:08 myhost kernel: [fglrx] free  AGP = 256126976
Aug 18 17:48:08 myhost kernel: [fglrx] max   AGP = 256126976
Aug 18 17:48:08 myhost kernel: [fglrx] free  LFB = 13615104
Aug 18 17:48:08 myhost kernel: [fglrx] max   LFB = 13615104
Aug 18 17:48:08 myhost kernel: [fglrx] free  Inv = 0
Aug 18 17:48:08 myhost kernel: [fglrx] max   Inv = 0
Aug 18 17:48:08 myhost kernel: [fglrx] total Inv = 0
Aug 18 17:48:08 myhost kernel: [fglrx] total TIM = 0
Aug 18 17:48:08 myhost kernel: [fglrx] total FB  = 0
Aug 18 17:48:08 myhost kernel: [fglrx] total AGP = 65536
Aug 18 17:48:19 myhost kde3(pam_unix)[4685]: session opened for user fredothefrog by (ui
d=0)
Aug 18 17:48:25 myhost gconfd (fredothefrog-4895): starting (version 2.4.0.1), pid 4895
user 'fredothefrog'
Aug 18 17:48:25 myhost gconfd (fredothefrog-4895): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/etc/g
conf/gconf.xml.mandatory" to a read-only config source at position 0
Aug 18 17:48:25 myhost gconfd (fredothefrog-4895): Resolved address "xml:readwrite:/home
/fredothefrog/.gconf" to a writable config source at position 1
Aug 18 17:48:25 myhost gconfd (fredothefrog-4895): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/etc/g
conf/gconf.xml.defaults" to a read-only config source at position 2
Aug 18 17:48:25 myhost gconfd (fredothefrog-4896): starting (version 2.4.0.1), pid 4896
user 'fredothefrog'
Aug 18 17:48:25 myhost gconfd (fredothefrog-4896): Failed to get lock for daemon, exitin
g: Failed to lock '/tmp/gconfd-fredothefrog/lock/ior': probably another process has the
lock, or your operating system has NFS file locking misconfigured (Resource temp
orarily unavailable)
Aug 18 17:48:32 myhost mdkkdm[1685]: Server for display :0 terminated unexpected
ly
Aug 18 17:48:32 myhost kernel: sock_release: fasync list not empty!
Aug 18 17:48:32 myhost kde3(pam_unix)[4685]: session closed for user fredothefrog
Aug 18 17:48:35 myhost kernel: [fglrx] free  AGP = 256126976
Aug 18 17:48:35 myhost kernel: [fglrx] max   AGP = 256126976
Aug 18 17:48:35 myhost kernel: [fglrx] free  LFB = 13615104
Aug 18 17:48:35 myhost kernel: [fglrx] max   LFB = 13615104
Aug 18 17:48:35 myhost kernel: [fglrx] free  Inv = 0
Aug 18 17:48:35 myhost kernel: [fglrx] max   Inv = 0
Aug 18 17:48:35 myhost kernel: [fglrx] total Inv = 0
Aug 18 17:48:35 myhost kernel: [fglrx] total TIM = 0
Aug 18 17:48:35 myhost kernel: [fglrx] total FB  = 0
Aug 18 17:48:35 myhost kernel: [fglrx] total AGP = 65536
Aug 18 17:48:47 myhost kde3(pam_unix)[5101]: session opened for user fredothefrog by (ui
d=0)
Aug 18 17:49:11 myhost su(pam_unix)[5566]: session opened for user root by (uid=
521)
Aug 18 17:50:00 myhost CROND[5635]: (mail) CMD (/usr/bin/python -S /usr/lib/mail
man/cron/gate_news)

Does this make any sense? Not to me... (and BTW, I don't run NFS).

Added: I removed killev as it's not essential, removed the script from the Autostart folder, and ran it from the command line. I am getting the message

/dev/dsp/ : permission denied

repeated maybe a hundred times, then the script hangs (does not return to the prompt). In fact, I am getting the same message, when I ran gnome-settings-daeom from the command line. It did not appear before!

Edited by coverup

Okay, after reboot :woops: " /dev/dsp" messages disappeared.

As for crashing kdm and two instances of gconfd, the explanation is simple: kde saves gconfd when the session closes on logout, and restarts it when the new session starts (pmpatrick, this is why KDE kept starting xscreensaver for you). When I run gnome-settings-daemon, it launces another instance of gconfd. Apparently, they conflict and crash kdm.

All that does not explain why gnome-settings-daemon does not return control to bash script to run xset in the next line :devil:

• 5 weeks later...

I have accidently figured out an easy way to set keyboard speed for gnome-settings-daemon. I logged in to gnome (which I never do) and was able to change keyboard settings using the gnome control centre. Next I put gnome-settings-daemon into the KDE's autostart folder. Now when I login to KDE and start galeon or evo, the keyboard flies and the fonts of a proper size :D .

Hopefully, this will help somebody.