New Kernel - Nvidia Drivers Don't Work

Guest Linux24

Guest Linux24

I used URPMI to grab the latest kernel - 2.6.3-15mdk - and installed it using the graphical interface of mandrake control center.

After installing the kernel and rebooting, I used

uname -r

and I was in the new kernel.

I then typed glxgears. Nothing happened. I couldn't boot up any of my 3d games. I had successfully installed Nvidia drivers under 2.6.3-7mdk.

So, I downloaded a new Nvidia driver and I

init 3

logged in as root

modified /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

nv -> nvidia

# Load = "glx" -> removed the comment

saved

And attempted to run the Nvidia driver.

However, the driver returned some errors. One of them is that my I already had a driver loaded, and it would be uninstalled. I said OK.

Then it said I had rivaFB modules in my kernel (I have never compiled a kernel), and that if they were enabled, they could conflict. I said OK.

It then checked for a kernel interface on the FTP site (way too fast - maybe a second long) and said "None found. Making a new one."

Then it said "Cannot build" and exited out.

I then rebooted, this time in 2.6.3-7, and there was my Nvidia splash screen and everything worked fine.

I rebooted back into 2.6.3-15, and no splash screen and no 3d support.

WHY? I don't understand any of this.

First of all, I don't understand why, after I modified /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, it could suddenly be modified back during boot into a different kernel? Also, why would the drivers suddenly start working again?

How do I fix this? This is a hell of a lot more annoying than downloading updates for Windows, that much is sure.

Why does the driver stop working under the new kernel and start working under the old one.

BTW, I still have the problem that if I turn off graphical boot, I get no video until I startx blindly by touch typing. Lilo will show "BIOS check successfull........" and then the screen goes black until the mandrake boot splash comes up, so I cannot go into run level three, even if I load the failsafe version.

Can anyone edu-ma-cate me?

Then it said I had rivaFB modules in my kernel (I have never compiled a kernel), and that if they were enabled, they could conflict. I said OK.

I'm curious about this rivaFB thing, you do have an nvidia card, correct?

I get the same message, but the driver installed and works fine under MDK 10.1 beta.

Only NVIDIA video card here!.