Update of kde using urpmi

santner

I have dial-up, so if I do urpmi.update -a will that take forever? Also, is it only kdebase that I need to update or are there other kde packages that come standard on the install that I will need to update as well?

I am somewhat of a urpmi newbie(started out with RedHat) so I kind of need my hand held through this. :D

well, with adsl, doing urpmi.update will take some two or three minutes, so i think, it will take some 10 minutes via dial-up modem. :puter:

with respect to the kde-packages: i think that there were other packages that need upgrading, too. so, if you want to upgrade, be sure that you REALLY want it and keep in mind that installing mdk10.1 later on can (maybe) be cheaper and easier than updating with dial-up. sounds pessimistic, but that is the way i see it. :D

Urpmi will take care of the dependencies so urpmi kdebase is the one command you need (don't you love it :) )

Anyway, downloading KDE by dial-up will take forever. By the time it's finished Mandrake 10.1 will be out. Better is to download all the latest packages from kde.org (the Mandrake rpms) at your work/school/friend, burn them on a CD, use the MCC to add that CD as one of your repositories and install it from there (still with urpmi kdebase)

Good luck

OK. My KDE install is completely messed up(my fault), however my linux box is humming(by my standards) and I don't want to do a complete reinstall.

To make things easier, rather than downloading the 50+ rpm kde packages, I would rather just reinstall from the original install discs.

First, I need to add my install media to urpmi. Then, I need to reinstall the exact same kde rpms that are used in a typical install.

Any help would be appreciated. I know that adding the install discs to urpmi is simple, I just forgot the exact command to do it. I'm not so sure about reinstalling kde from the discs though. :unsure:

urpmi.addmedia CD1/2/3 removable://mnt/cdrom to add the CDs

urpme kdebase to make sure kde is really uninstalled

urpmi kdebase to install it. (or urpmi --media CD1 kdebase to make sure you install it from disk)

Good luck

Edited by devries