Broadcom Drivers

Guest linuxpenguin

Guest linuxpenguin

Hi All. Lets begin by saying im somewhat of a noobie.

I just dualbooted my laptop with Win XP and Mandrake 10.0. Im working the bugs out but the thing that is really buggin me is the Wireless. I go to:

Gnome Control Center > Network & Internet > New Connection > (Wireless Connection) Next > (Net Device - Manual Choice) Next >

Then I tried every broadcom driver, but none of them worked, they just kept taking me back to the previous screen. the three drivers i tried were; bcm 4400, 5700, & 5800.

I don't know if I am doing something wrong or not... maybe there is another method? Any help is great! Thanx!

First,

It's Broadcom not Linux, they wont release info so drivers can be made available. :angry:

What adapter do you have?

Have you tried NDISwrapper?

ndis how-to <--better ones out there, look at there site for more.

Linuxant cost $$$

^as a last resort, you can use them try/buy I think it is only $20 but if nothing else works, check them out.

You will need to use ndiswrapper for Broadcom drivers. However, before you install it, you must remove all traces of the outdated version 0.4 ndiswrapper which is preinstalled with MDK 10. This is tricky and requires doing a couple things in a terminal as root user - if you have difficulty with that, just ask (I did). Details about what to delete are here:

http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=17446&hl=

Then you can install a new version (0.9 is the latest). If you install from RPM I'd recommend grabbing a source package as well (same version) so you'll have the INSTALL guide handy. This tells you exactly how to install your Windows drivers and switch ndiswrapper on.

SIDENOTE: Which drivers? the ndiswrapper site may have their own suggestions, but try starting with the ones off your card's Windows installation disk (mine were in a folder called 'driver').

Thing I wish I'd known sooner: start ndiswrapper BEFORE you put the card in.

Let us know how you get on.