Newbie software installation questions regarding phoenix

Guest wilburpan

Guest wilburpan

I have been using Mandrake Linux 9.0 for all of 1 week now!

Two superbasic questions that I cannot seem to find the answer to in all of the usual FAQs:

1. I have downloaded the Phoenix browser. I have figured out how to unpack it and made links to run the program. Currently the phoenix program folder is in my /home folder. Should there be another location for this folder?

2. In general, when I instal new software, where should/does it go? I have run some RPMs, but I don't know where the program files ultimately wind up. I guess I'm asking what the Linux quivalent of the Windows Program Files folder is.

Thanks!

1. I have downloaded the Phoenix browser.  I have figured out how to unpack it and made links to run the program. Currently the phoenix program folder is in my /home folder.  Should there be another location for this folder?

If you did a 'make install' (as root) in the program's directory, the program is now in /usr/local/ or /usr/local/share. However, if you didn't type 'make install', all the stuff is in your $HOME directory. Here is a links answering your queston.. The important part is by YinYeti and is close to the end..

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...1617&highlight=

2. In general, when I instal new software, where should/does it go? I have run some RPMs, but I don't know where the program files ultimately wind up.  I guess I'm asking what the Linux quivalent of the Windows Program Files folder is.

You _should_ unpack the .tar.gz into /usr/local/src/. 'make install' on top of the program's directory will install the program in the Linux hierarchy. However, /usr/local/src is completely up to you. I myself have some stuff in /usr/local/src and a 'program' directory in my home directory... I guess it's up to you.

Here is a quote from -> http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/basics/bfiles.html

If you install a program in MS Windows, it usually stores most of its files in its own directory structure. A help file for instance may be in 'program name' or in 'program_namehelp' or in 'program namehoopyfrogturnip'.

In Linux, programs put their documentation into '/usr/share/doc/program_name', man pages into '/usr/share/man/man[1-9]', info pages into '/usr/share/info'.That is they are merged with the system hierarchy.

Hope this help a bit

MOttS

Guest wilburpan
If you did a 'make install' (as root) in the program's directory, the program is now in /usr/local/ or /usr/local/share.  However, if you didn't type 'make install', all the stuff is in your $HOME directory. 

Thanks for the reply. I "installed" phoenix by double clicking the downloaded file from the kde desktop, which gave me a new folder titled "Phoenix". If I move this folder, should I take out the phoenix binary file and put it in /usr/bin, and the rest of the folder in /usr/local? Or should I put the whole folder as is into /usr/local?

My impression is that either one would work, but I do want to try to stick with established convention.