speedtouch 330

hopeful

Shorewall appears to be working. I tested it with sygate and got a sea of blue. However, sygae recommend that all ports should be blocked. How do I go about achieving this.

Even those that are not blocked (invisible) are still closed, so there's nothing to worry about - unless you were infected before you set up the firewall... :P

"Closed" indicates that there is nothing listening at a specific port, so even if an attacker connects to your computer there will not be any server waiting there to allow the connection. This is analogous to shutting the door to your house, and locking it to the outside. No one can get in, but anyone can open the door (port) from the inside. This means that a program on your computer could simply open a "closed" port with no restrictions from the operating system.
Also is there a command line I can use to connect and disconnent the broadband connection without having to turn the machine off?

I think you can su to root and use 'service internet stop' and 'service internet start' from the command-line, or got into Configure your computer - System - Services and do it there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi people,

Thanks for the praises i've been getting - i didn't discover it as such - just found various posts and compiled it into one (easyish) post.

Now i have a problem (i know this might not be the best forum to ask but what the hell!)

I am distro hoping at the moment and have been looking at 2 other linux versions

these are

1) yoper (www.yoper.com)

This is the fastest version of linux i have seen, but i couldn't get the speedtouch driver to install - it just stops - any ideas

2) suse 9.1 personal edition

This one kind of works - it works when ui 1st install the script but does error - after reboot i get the message

'FATAL Module usb_uhci not found'

Any ideas ?

I am checking other versions of linux before Mandrake 10.1 comes out - lets hope the speedtouch driver works with that

Also, do you think that MandrakeSoft actually know that the driver they supply with Mandrake 10 doesn't actually work with the default (2.6.3) kernel ? Some one should tell them !

Cheers