I can access half the internet

Guest Underdog

Guest Underdog

I have encountered a very strange problem. I am only able to access some sites on the internet. I am running MDK10.1 Beta using Konqueror as the browser. I sued to just have MDK10 but had this problem as well .. . I have a small LAN, 2 win xp boxes, 1 win2K3 box, and this mdk10.1. All boxes are hooked to a linksys BEFW11S4. which is hooked to a gateway router then to dsl . . . every box can access the internet fine, but I can only access some sites. www.amazon.com works, www.cnn.com does not (timeout) www.yahoo.com does not (timeout) however when I ping www.yahoo.com it actually pings www.yahoo.akadns.net (which works) so if I put that in my browser www.yahoo.akadns.net, I get to the yahoo home page, but if I click on any link (www.yahoo.com/....) it will timeout again . .. what the heck is goin' on?

Thanks!

Jason

The only thing I can think of that would do this is a bad DNS server. You might call verizon and ask what DNS server you should be hitting and then make sure that your gateway is pointing to that address.

Also, in mandrake I have had problems with dynamic DNS. So you might try setting your network connections to a static DNS server once you find a good one.

All that assumes you know what DNS is. If you do know, stop here. If you don't, read on.

All web servers have an IP address, just like your home network. They just have different numbers. Of course, trying to get to a web site by IP sucks, and is sometimes impossible. So, a long time ago, folks that are smarter than I, set up a system where each will have a domain name or URL. What happens when you enter the web adress for a website, is that your computer asks a domain name server (dns), what ip adress is attatched to that domain, and then your computer will go hit the 'real' address.

If the DNS server you are using has not been updated in a long time you will find that some sites work just fine while others simply never load.

• 2 weeks later...