Problem at the first boot after install

partrick

I just install 10.0 3CDs into my gf's laptop, which is a Toshiba 1115-s103. there are some errors show up during installing, but i don't think that are big problems. anyway when it reboots, it stops at "checking for new hardware".

should I try to burn new CDs and reinstall it? or cause by something else?

Thanks alot!!!

-boot with cd1 and at the splashscreen press F1

-then type rescue and press Enter

-then choose Mount your partitions under /mnt

-then choose Go To Console

-then type;

chroot /mnt

and press Enter

-then type

chkconfig harddrake off

you may have to do;

/sbin/chkconfig harddrake off

-then type reboot or do Ctrl+Alt+Delete

did it work?

sometimes, even though it says eth0 (your ethernet card) failed, it didn't. Check to see if your internet works and if not try and config it using the Mandrake Control Center. If it still doesn't work, post another thread with details about your card/and config.

i just did a text installation with no error at all, but still have the same problem.

i guess if i turn the harddrake off in Rescue, I will not be able to use control center later in GUI. However, if i don't turn it off, i will not pass the "checking new hardware".

deadlock here...

not having harddrake at boot will not stop mcc (mandrake control center) from starting. You can force an uninstall of harddrake from the cli.....I used to do it all the time and I never run harddrake at boot. Not once have I found it anything other than an anoying, crappy app.

Start mcc from a gui terminal (xterm, rxvt, konsole, aterm, Eterm, gnome-terminal) with;

mcc

or

drakconf

and see if any errors are printed out in the terminal.

there are some errors show up during installing, but i don't think that are big problems

do you remember some of the error messages? maybe there was one really major error and knowing something about that would surely help. have you tried some other cd's? maybe you have a bad burn or bad download.

ooops... sorry, i should read your postings better. :lol:

hmmm... just an idea: you can configure your network via the config-scripts, then you should not need mcc, i guess. afterwards you could possibly set up some easyurpmi-ftp-mirrors and update your system. maybe the updates have some tweaks that stop this "bug/problem/headache". :unsure:

Edited by arctic