multiple video cards vs 1 video card

imwithstupid

Is there any overhead when running many video cards on one system? The reason i ask is that we are building a system and it needs to support 4 monitors. Our options include using 4 cards, 2 cards or 1 card. Its actually cheaper to get 4 separate cards and you get more memory per display but if there is enough overhead this advantage would be lost. Also, I am not worried about using up all the PCI slots because the only other possible thing to get installed in this computer is a sound card.

that partially depends on the video cards you plan to use...if they have any dependency on the cpu.

most definitely, 4 cards will use more power than 1 card with 4 outputs - either way you'd probably want a decent power supply.

true...i will need some massive power. Hypothetically if I had a single card on a single PCI slot running x amount of memory to each output and if I had 4 cards running x amount of memory out to each of their respective cards which would be faster. Is there more overhead because the cards have to "talk to eachother" or for the chips to talk to eachother on the same board. Also, I would think that heat could be a problem on one of these multihead cards...and the brings down performance.