24hrs of Mandrake and almost happy

Guest dropframe

Guest dropframe

Ok I almost have Mandrake 10.0 (2.6.3-4mdksmp) set up correctly. I can go about my days almost normal, except my laptops battery is dieing. I have come to realize that I need acpi installed and running and I have no ideal how to do this. I figured that I need to patch the kernal but I have no ideal how to do that.

Stats so far:

Using Fujitsu p2120 256megs ram/ 933mhz crusoe

Mandrake 10.0 2.6.3-4mdksmp kernal

What I did:

went to: http://acpi.sourceforge.net/

downloaded acpi-20040715-2.6.8.diff.bz2

typed in console: $ gunzip -c acpi-<version>.diff.gz | patch -p1

It displayed a bunch of cool text

then nothing happened? The instructions said to then make menuconfig but that didnt do anything. I know Iam doing something wrong but I have no ideal what...

This is the end of my second day with linux ever so any help would be awesome. I accidently deleted my winxp partition so I dont want to go back! I am almost M$ indepenedent and its fun to work on my computer now....:)

Welcome on board!

ACPI should already be in Mandrake kernel, so you shouldn't need to apply any sort of patch to anything.

I'm surprised you use the SMP kernel. That is for multiple-processors. Isn't your laptop mono-processor?

I'm far from an expert on ACPI, but to make ACPI work on my computer, I simply started the ACPI service. As root, open a terminal window. Let's assume the prompt you get is "#". Then:

# service acpi start

# chkconfig --add acpi

This should start ACPI, and make it start on future reboots.

But while ACPI is a good thing (when it works), chances are (because it's a laptop) that your CPU is able to dynamically change frequency based on workload. If so, you have to find out what "cpufreq" kernel module is responsible for your CPU. You would then have to do this in root's terminal window (module-name is the name of the cpufreq module for your CPU):

# modprobe module-name

# echo module-name >>/etc/modprobe.preload

This loads the required module, and configure the PC so that the module gets loaded on future reboots.

After loading the cpufreq module, get and install cpudyn. This *may* require that you compile your own kernel.

Yves.

Edited by theYinYeti

What you downloaded is a patch to the sourcecode of acpi and that is not what you need. If you want to install software in Mandrake use 'urpmi' (for help look in the FAQ)

Basically what you need to install are the acpi and acpid packages (and probably a few others but urpmi will take care of that).

After you've installed the packages you need to start the services. In the mandrake control center (MCC) go to system, services, look for acpi and press start service.

To check the battery status go to the kde control center (kcontrol), energy management, laptop-battery.

Good luck

Edited by devries

Guest dropframe

Thanks guys. I used urpmi and installed acpi and acpid ... it took my cd's and found the dependencies and it downloaded the correct version of acpid I needed.

Nown when I go to Mandrake Control Center I can see it listed in the services, I can see it says run on boot, but when I reboot it doesnt say its running and when I click start it doesnt run.

Whats the next step? When I type service acpi start it says there is no command service.

Do I need to type that in a different place?

Thanks for all the help so far.

Log in as root and type /etc/init.d acpi status (to see if it's running). If it is running you can stop it with /etc/init.d stop en start it again with /etc/init.d start (you get the idea :) )

Same for acpid. (these names might not acpi acpid might be different (I'm not at a computer using acpi right now)). Just lookin /etc/init.d for the most appropiate)

Edited by devries

Guest dropframe
Thanks guys.  I used urpmi and installed acpi and acpid ... it took my cd's and found the dependencies and it downloaded the correct version of acpid I needed.

Nown when I go to Mandrake Control Center I can see it listed in the services, I can see it says run on boot, but when I reboot it doesnt say its running and when I click start it doesnt run.

Whats the next step?  When I type service acpi start it says there is no command service.

Do I need to type that in a different place?

Thanks for all the help so far.

Thanks, but be patient with me. It says that /etc/init.d/acpi status is a directory and if I type it like /etc/init.d/acpi start it says that support for it is not supported in the kernal. acpi and acpid are both in the /etc/init.d/ directory tho.

Any other ideals? Its very important that this work as I carry my laptop around all day and it loses its functionality if I have to always be stopping and starting it.

Anyone in wisconsin wanna get paid to help? :)

Put the line acpi=on in your /etc/lilo.conf (add it to the append= line), run lilo (as root type /sbin/lilo <enter>) and reboot your PC.

If it works your set, but it is possible your PC won't boot because it seems to have problems with acpi. If Mandrake doesn't boot, choose linux failsafe in the lilomenu, log in as root and type vi /etc/lilo.conf and remove acpi=on. (small explanation: i = insert and will you let delete acpi=on, esc=not insert :), and :x= save and exit), run lilo again and you'll be able into Mandrake again.

If aacpi refuses to work for you then go with apm.

Good luck

Guest dropframe

YES! Thanks. All the problems I had and it was so simple. I went to the set computer menu and then to the BOOT menu and there was a tick mark for me.

Seems this whole time I had it installed right but if I didnt manual have it ticked to start in the boot menu then it wouldnt be able to start in the services menu. I have to say thanks!

Ok now last part to this question and then I'll get out of your guys hair :)

suspend...I cant tell if its working.

suspend to ram: works awesome but wont come back up

suspend to HD: works crappy..starts saving to HD then pukes out and goes back to the desktop. The hard drive never makes it to a parked position.

I only need to get suspend to ram or suspend to HD...just having one of them working would be fine. Any little tweaking tips I can try?