Printing to a Windows Network Printer

okay, this is embarassing to admit, but i'll say it anyway...

I'm having trouble printing to an HP Laserjet that's shared as a network printer on a Windows box.

The Laserjet4 is on an old Pentium-class PC running Win98 that functions only as a print server. The printer is shared without restrictions. Other Windows PCs on the network have no problem seeing the printer or printing to it.

My new installation of Suse 9.1 has Samba enabled as a client and can successfully access that PC and all of its other Windows shares.

Just to double check my installation: I have used the KDEPrint Add PRinter Wizard to install the printer. I've selected a SMB-shared Printer (Windows), specified a valid user account/password, and specified the correct Workgroup, Server, and Printer share name. (If I use the SCAN feature and migrage through the network path, the printer is visible as a SMB Share). I've installed the printer in KDE as the correct model. When it comes time to print a test page, I get the following error message regardless of which Laserjet 4 driver I try to install:

"Error - Control Center: Unable to create temporary printer."

Ideas?

[moved from Networking by spinynorman]

Try setting up the printer in Cups. It might be easier than going through the KDE utility. If it is installed, you can get to the cups panel by navigating to http://localhost:631 Try adding your network Printer there and you might have more luck.

For you Mandrake users out there that are reading this, you can do the same thing I described above and it will work. You can also go to MCC > Hardware > Printers

• 3 weeks later...