Teamspeak and UT2004: sound issue

papaschtroumpf

I'm using onboard sound (KMix says CMI8738-MC6) and I want to play UT2004 while using teamspeak (RC2).

Whenever teamsspeak is enabled, there is no sound output from the rest of the system, so no sound from UT2004. Sound works fine if teamspeak isn't running.

Teamspeak mic appears to detect my voice. I don't know if it will play other people's voice, because nobody was on the server I used when I tested it tonight.

I don't know much about linux sound. The "sound system hardware" in the KDE control panel is set to "AutoDetect"

It seems your onboard sound doesn't do hardware mixing (that is: only one application at a time can use 'sound', teamspeak or ut2004). So what you need is software mixing, then more then one app can 'make sound'.

In KDE the mixer program is called arts. Usually there exists for non-KDE programs (KDE programs already use arts) a plugin-in or an option to tell it to use arts.

If all fails you can always start the rpogram from the commandline with 'artsdsp <programname> . That way it will use arts for sound.

So in your case it might be 'artsdsp ut2004' for ut2004 and 'artsdsp teamspeak' for teamspeak.

Edited by devries

I went a different route for now, since I read on the Teamspeak forums that it works fine withe the SB Live! and I had one lying around: I put the SB Live! in and I think it fiexed the sound output problems, but now my microphone doesn;t seem to work in teamspeak.

Using kmix I can bump up the "feedback" volume from the microphone and I hear it in my headset so I think the mic input is working, it just appears not to get to Teamspeak.

I also launched Audacity and hit the record button and all I get is a flat line.

How do I select/enable my microphone?