wireless lan on compaq r3000 amd64?

Guest ross

Hi,

I have been using Mandrake 10.0 on my home pc for some time now and have been very happy with it. I just bought Compaq Presario R3240US that has an AMD64 processor and Broadcom onboard 802.11g wireless. I installed Mandrake 10.0 for AMD 64 on it and there are no modules for the onboard wireless. What are my options for getting this to work? I've done quite a bit googling and have come up with nothing yet.

Thanks,

Ross

First you need to find out what chipset is on the broadcom wireless client device. Then you need to uncompress the windows driver into a folder on your laptop. Then you can load that driver with a thing called ndiswrapper.

be warned...getting a wireless device to work with ndiswrapper can be a PITA but it will be worth it in the end. And post here if you need help...because i and a few others have done this many times and can usually be of assistance.

I remembered some things that might help...

1)the driver provided on the CD you got with the computer will be the correct one...you may have to go to a windows box to extract the file.

2)ndiswrapper needs both the .SYS and .INF file

3)the version of ndiswrapper packaged with mdk 10 sucks...you should compile the latest version that they have and follow the instructions in the readme file (this is the part where something usually goes wrong and you find yourself posting here at 1 am)

4)like most problems you will come against in linux this one is very solvable...don't give up.

(also as far as other options...there are other, commercial, driver loaders out there, but ndiswrapper works without fail)

imwithstupid,

Thanks for your reply and words of encouragement. I was under the impression that nidiswrapper would not work with amd64 but I'm going to take your advice and try it.

edit: I figured it out.

Thanks for your help.

Ross

Edited by ross

when I run make install i get the following errors:

[root@localhost ndiswrapper-0.8]# make install
make -C driver install
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver'
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.3-11mdk/build SUBDIRS=/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver DRV_VERSION=0.8 modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.3-11mdk'
*** Warning: Overriding SUBDIRS on the command line can cause
***          inconsistencies
make[3]: `arch/x86_64/kernel/asm-offsets.s' is up to date.
 CHK     include/asm-x86_64/offset.h
 CC [M]  /home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/misc_funcs.o
In file included from /home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:18,
                from /home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/misc_funcs.c:22:
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ntoskernel.h:101: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ntoskernel.h:102: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
In file included from /home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/misc_funcs.c:22:
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:115: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:116: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:117: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:120: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:123: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:126: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:129: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:132: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:135: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:138: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:141: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:146: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:149: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:164: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:171: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:292: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:575: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:575: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:576: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:576: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:577: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:577: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:578: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:578: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:579: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:579: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:580: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:580: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:581: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:581: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:582: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:583: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:586: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:586: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:587: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/ndis.h:587: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/misc_funcs.c: In function `wrapper_timer_handler':
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/misc_funcs.c:92: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/misc_funcs.c: At top level:
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/misc_funcs.c:316: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/misc_funcs.c:321: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/misc_funcs.c:326: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/misc_funcs.c:331: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/misc_funcs.c:336: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/misc_funcs.c:341: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/misc_funcs.c:366: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/misc_funcs.c:382: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/misc_funcs.c:407: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/misc_funcs.c:430: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/misc_funcs.c:440: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/misc_funcs.c:448: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/misc_funcs.c:463: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/misc_funcs.c:493: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/misc_funcs.c:523: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/misc_funcs.c:559: warning: `__stdcall__' attribute ignored
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/misc_funcs.c: In function `my_dumpstack':
/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/misc_funcs.c:611: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:653: Error: `(%esp,1)' is not a valid 64 bit base/index expression
make[3]: *** [/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver/misc_funcs.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.3-11mdk'
make[1]: *** [default] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ross/ndiswrapper-0.8/driver'
make: *** [install] Error 2
[root@localhost ndiswrapper-0.8]#

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ross

It looks like ndiswrapper doesn't want to compile as a 64 bit kernel module.

It looks like i was wrong (from the ndiswrapper website)

#

Can I use ndiswrapper in 64-bit mode (for AMD64)?

No. There are two problems. NDIS (Windows) drivers don't work in 64-bit mode. It is not possible to run 32-bit NDIS drivers in 64-bit mode (we run the Windows drivers natively on the processor). Second problem is that ndiswrapper itself assumes 32-bit word lengths. The second problem can be fixed easily once 64-bit NDIS drivers are available.

also take a look at this thread from ndis's sf page: http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thr...forum_id=323167

It looks like you can get it to work...but it will take someone more skilled in programming than me to mess with the ndiswrapper code. Basically you need someone who is used to changing code to work with the amd 64. This is, of course, something i should learn how to do, as i have a amd 64 machine with lots of non-working programs.

I'd say wait it out...it shouldn't take too long for someone to make a how-to, or post the modified code online.

good luck