USB Jumpdrives

Guest JoeDesertrat

Guest JoeDesertrat

I'm thinking of trying a USB jumpdrive to transfer data between two non-networked (one with no internet connection either) PC's. I haven't been able to find this subject posted in these forums so I'll give it a shot.

Has anyone tried any of the USB jumpdrives? If so, did they work out of the box or was some configuration necessary? I'm specifically looking at the Lexar jumpdrives as Tiger Direct has some great prices available right now.

Apparently they do work in Red Hat, I wonder if anyone here has tried them with Mandrake.

I've been using a jumpdrive from crucial for a while now. It works with Mandrake 10, 9.2, win XP, and win 98. I've only ever had to do some "setting up" in win98 because it didn't autodetect the thing. Other people have had stuff go wrong with these drives and have reported it on this forum. (I think i recall someone lost all their data on one...but that's probably a rare occurence as long as your automounting stuff is working and in order). With some brands you can also use the drive on your xbox for savegames.

I'd give one a try and if it doesn't work i'm sure someone where you work or someone in your family would buy it off you. They are super handy...