Mplayer, Help please ?

jmr0311

Hi people, I need some help with mplayer and the plug-in for firefox mplayerplug-in. Whem I'm playing video trailers from ( www.apple.com/trailers/ ), mplayerplug-in opens fine and plays the stream movie clip, but the screen when it opens doesn't give me any kind of button control (eg. play, pause, stop) or volume control in the bottom of the screen. I remember some people saying in other forums that you need to download a skin and install it on /usr/local/share/mplayer/Skin/ . I did this already but it still doesn't show the buttons. Another people says that you have to set in mplayerplug-in.conf the line that says "use-gui=mini", but that doesn't work either.

I install the latest mplayer MPlayer-1.0pre5 with this packages "gtk+-1.2.10 , glib-1.2.10" to make mplayer worked. Also I used the "gecko-sdk" package per install instructions for the mplayerplug-in . I'm using firefox 0.9.2+ as a browser.

Mplayer and Gmplayer are working fine is just when I'm playing stream videos from the internet. Any idea how to fix this ?

Javi :help:

Edited by jmr0311

I have the latest mplayerplug-in as well ( " mplayerplug-in-2.66.tar.gz" ) but I don't have the buttons on my screen. I used for mplayer ( " MPlayer v1.0pre5 source" ) as the file to do the install. Can you post some of the step you follow in your installation of the plug-in. I want to compare notes to see what I missed or what I did differently. Please, this will be of great help for me. Thank you.

Javi

Edited by jmr0311

From the mplayerplug-in site

Compilation options

--with-gecko-sdk=/path/to/gecko-sdk    (replace /path/to with the correct value)

--enable-gtk2(default option, use if mozilla is linked to gtk2 libs)

--enable-gtk1(use if mozilla is linked to gtk1 libs (usually if fonts in mozilla are not smooth))

--enable-x(use if you don't know if your mozilla is linked to gtk1 or gtk2)

If you have installed gtk1 you need to compile it with --enable-gtk1 to have the buttons

But why don't you use the rpm's? If you don't want to use Redhat rpms you can extract the files from the package and copy them to you .mozilla folder.

Good luck :)

Edited by devries

What command do I need to uninstall everything (mplayer and mplayerplug-in) and start from fresh. Do you think this is a good idea because when I tried to compile using the --enable-gtk1 , it give me an error. I didn't use the rpm because I read in some other forums that is best to use "source packages" because it deals with dependencies better than RPM packages .

Javi

Edited by jmr0311

With the command 'make uninstall' (in the folder in which you built mplayerplug-in)

As a rule you should only use Mandrake rpms on a Mandake installation. However that is not very practical because there will always be apps that you need for which no Mandrake rpms exists. Second best is to use an rpm for another system. Urpmi understands them (though dependencies may give you a headache) so you keep an oversight of what is installed on your PC. Third option is compiling it yourself. Some people claim compiling will give you a speed increase (not noticable to me) I say it's not worth the trouble. :)

I went to this directory which is where I build mplayerplug-in ( /home/jmr0311/mplayerplug-in/) and in command line I type "make uninstall" , but nothing happen, all it does is write this:

[jmr0311@home-desktop jmr0311]$ cd /home/jmr0311/mplayerplug-in/

[jmr0311@home-desktop mplayerplug-in]$ make uninstall

./uninstall.sh

[jmr0311@home-desktop mplayerplug-in]$

it doesn't make any difference if I do it as root. I'm trying to re-make mplayerplug-in but it doesn't let me. This is what gets displayed in terminal when I'm trying to "make" mplayerplug-in;

[root@home-desktop mplayerplug-in]# make

make: Nothing to be done for `default'.

[root@home-desktop mplayerplug-in]#

Any ideas guys of what's going on.... Tank you

Javi

First: the commands ./configure and make you do as normal user. Only when you want to install what you have build (that is copying things from the mplayerplug-in folder to /usr/lib/bin whatever) you log on as root. If you want to uninstall (deleting files from /usr /etc whatever) you log in as root. Your regular user can do anything in it's /home/yourname folder but only root can do things in /....

Second: it seems you have already build the plugin that's why it is saying nothing to be done :) To delete these files log in as root (because you build them as root, but I hope you will not do this again in the future :)) and type 'make clean' (or just start all over again and throw away the folder and untar the source, ./configure etc etc)

Sorry for asking so many questions. I want to uninstall mplayerplug-in so I can do it again using the correct command ( --enable-gtk1 ) for the ./config and then do the "make", "make install" to allow the control buttons to show. I have to do

" make clean " command in this directory ( /home/jmr0311/mplayerplug-in) as a root and then manually remove the directory mplayerplug-in, am I interpreting the instructions correct. Thanks devries.

Javi

Edited by jmr0311

If you have compiled (with the command 'make') the mplayerplug-in as root only root can remove these files. (with make clean or with rm -fr mplayerplug-in (be carefull with this if you don't inderstand what I'm saying don't use it :)). If you haven't installed it (with the command 'make install') all the files will be in the mplayerplug-in directory so just removing this directory will be enough.

Edited by devries

I have mplayerplug-in installed in my Firerfox browser at this moment but the screen don't show the control buttons. I'm almost positive that i did the make as user not as root. I did the install without including this --enable-gtk1 line in the command of ./configure. And I think that is my problem, that's why I'm trying to remove mplayerplug-in and do the installation again using the proper command line.

Javi