FAMOpen failed, FAMErrno=0

hippocampe

I saw many lines like this in .xsession-errors:

It also shows up when I start gedit from the command line for example.

What is it? a package named fam is installed on my system and the description says its a file monitoring daemon but it seems that no process with this name is running on my computer. Is it and important service that I must/should run?

Thanks

fam is a xinetd service. In order for it to work you have to have xinietd, and portmap, running as well. The error is basically telling you thats it's not running.

Is it and important service that I must/should run?
Depends...do you use nautilus and gedit, while on the internet? If no, then no, if yes, then yes. I couldn't even start them unless xinetd, portmap, and fam were running, while I was online. It's a gnome2 thing...silly IMO. I was actually going to give gnome and NOTilus a change until they pulled this. You do need to still run xinetd if you use devfsd though. I wish someone could tell me why, but these 2 are tied somehow?

http://gnomesupport.org/forums/

Hmm, if I understand it xinetd is needed only if you want to run servers right? I dont have any servers so I should not need to run it normally. Also, portmap is for services that use RPC such as NIS or NFS and I dont use any of these. It's strange if I have to run these services just to run nautilus......

Anyway, GNOME and nautilus are working OK (I guess) without these except for that message.

Would it happen that Openoffice needs any of these services cuz it is unusable on my system (see my other post). Both versions from Mandrake and OO.org website crash my whole system everytime I use them.

I know...it's joke, but I went round and round with this for a week.

Are you saying you can run nautilus while online without fam running? I couldn't. In fact, if I tried to start nautilus or gedit, they wouldn't, but I could logoff the net 2 min. latter and they'd open when the connection died.

I found a post by MArk at http://gnomesupport.org/forums/ that stated nautilus and gedit required fam, and enabling them resolved the prob. Have you noticed that gedit starts about 3x slower than it did in gnome-1.4. Fam is why.

Would it happen that Openoffice needs any of these services
Could be. I don't use it.