Openoffice hangs the whole system

hippocampe

I installed MDK9 recently and at the same time I installed the version of Openoffice that comes with the CD. When I used Openoffice, my whole system would stop responding. Only the mouse pointer is still moving on the screen but everything else if frozen. I figured out Openoffice is the problem. I checked the logs but nothing interesting shows up and I think it woudn't have time either to report something in the logs when it crashes (when I play a MP3 and it crashes, it will stop at the end of that song instead of playing the next one in the list). All I can do is reboot using the SysRq commands. Someone said that the version of OO that comes with Mandrake "has issues" so I deinstalled it, I removed the OpenOffice, OpenOffice-help, OpenOffice-libs and OpenOffice-i10ns (or something like that) RPMs. I think these are all the RPMs required by OO. I installed the version from the OO website in hope that it would solve my problem. But THAT version is actually worse :(

It hanged my system the first time I launched it !!! Subsequently it started but hanged my system each time. It is actually unusable.

Wonder if anyone else has this problem? Did I screw up anything here?

I have no clue of why it is doing that. I searched this forum but noone else seems to have this problem.

This is what it says in the shell just when I start it from the command line:

sh: line 1: /usr/sbin/lpc: No such file or directory

sh: line 1: lpc: command not found

sh: line 1: lpstat: command not found

(I dont have a printer)

No further comments is displayed before it crashes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The question is, do you want to see if OO.org will work? I have a lot of printer related crap installed that my printer doesn't use, but deps are deps. Sure, OO.org shouldn't be designed to behave like this over a printer issue, and it may not be the prob, but how are you going to know if you don't install them? Use the CD's.

Hey, I just found out that if you want to build OpenOffice from source you need JDK 1.3.1 but it is not in the requirements if you want to download the binaries. So why is JDK needed to build if no components from it is needed to run the binaries? Im not sure JRE is installed on my machine. I used to have JDK in previous versions of MDK but I didn't reinstall it for MDK 9 and thats when things began to screw up. Hmmm...

Any ideas?