Printer Software Reinstall????

Guest bmacd

I had a freezeup while I was working on a network setup. This is Mandrake 9.0. I got around it by doing an interactive bootup and avoiding the network. I fixed that problem, but now my printer, a Lexmark Z22 does not print.

I get the following error message in a KDE window with "Catastrophe KNotify" in the title bar.

/usr/bin/lpr -P 'Printer' '-#1'

'/tmp/kde-bruce/kdeprint_MFnuA8R; : execution failed wtih message:

Unknown option -# Usage:

... and it goes on with options.

I tried using printerdrake to reinstall the printer but I get the same results.

Do I need to uninstall software and drivers? Which software? How?

Thanks.

Bruce

You can find out what driver your printer is using by going into Mandrake Control Center>Hardware>Printer. When the printdrake screen comes up, double click on your printer and the driver your printer uses will be displayed along with other useful info. As for software, my best guess would be CUPS. You can uninstall CUPS and the driver in mcc>Software Management>Remove Software. Also, you might want to take a look at your printer using the CUPS WWW Admin tool found in start menu>Configuration>Printing if it has been installed. Under the Help tab you can find some excellent documentation on setting up printers with a lot of command line stuff that might help locate the problem.

As for the error messages, I haven't a clue. Printing and networking are generally related so one would have to suspect your network problems may have impacted the print services in some way.

I open MCC to hardware to printer. When I double click on my printer, the window goes blank and nothing comes up.

I did ps -ax | less and find that

/usr/bin/perl /usr/sbin/drakconf

/usr/bin/perl /usr/sbin/printerdrake

/usr/binperl /usr/sbin/logdrake

are present. Only a kill -9 to the program will get rid of the window.

In other words, I can't even try to check the printer.

pmpatrick was correct to say that the network problem and printing problem I had were related.

I need someone to help walk me through configuring my IP addresses internet and intranet setup.

I have Mandrake 9.0

I have in one box:

on board LAN card eth0

HPNA (home phone network card) eth1

Kingston Ethernet card eth2

At differnt times I have been able to ping all machines from each other, but I can't know.

I have been able to localhost:901/ but I can't now. I have been able to print, but I can't now. When I can open SWAT, I can print. When I can't open swat, because I get a time out error, I can't print. I have not been able to get all of this at once.

Here is my host file.

10.0.0.10 localhost.localdomain localhost

192.168.1.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

192.168.0.1 linux.home.lan linux

192.168.0.2 linux.home.lan linux

192.168.0.3 linux.home.lan linux

I don't know where the fist twoIP addresses come from. The third is a default. The last three was my attempt at naming eth0 (lLAN card), eth1 (HPNA card) and eth2 (Ethernet card). I know the last three have the 255.255.255.0 subnet mask.

Linux.home.lan was my attempt to name only the 192.168.0.1 card under the mandrake control center. I don't know why the name was applied to all three cards.

Neworking is not my long suit, so I don't know how much help I can be. There is another thread on this board dealing with similar problems that you may want to check:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=1606

You may want to consider reposting this in Networking where you'll be more likely to get a response from people that know what they're talking about.

I guess the first place I'd look is in mcc>Networking &Internet>Connection to see if eth0, eth1 and eth2 are up. If not, tick the Expert Mode button and see if you can get them up or try reconfiguring the NICs that are giving you trouble.