IBM BIOS Power save and system hang

So I couldn't figure out why I would often come back to my machine with a blank screen. No keyboard or touchpad input worked, so I was forced to hardboot. I then remembered that not only does KDE have power save option (which I had disabled) but so does IBM. So I disabled all of them in the BIOS as well. However, I would like to have some of the suspend/hibernate functions back. Is there a few config changes I can make so that my system can better handle a BIOS power management action?? Thanks. Chris

Which barnd/model is your laptop? I use the KDE klaptop applet for suspend/standby and speedstep-centrino+cpufreq for CPU throttling. If it's an IBM Thnkpad, you may want to look at tpctl - the ThinkPad configuration tool for linux. It should be somewhere on the Mandrake CDs, and I think, there are RPMs on sourceforge as well. Also, there are some Thinkpad related kernel modules which can make a difference:

smapi

thinkpadpm

thinkpad

Add these lines to /etc/modules to load the modules during boot. Note the second one - it has something to do with power management, but I am not sure.

• 2 months later...

Any ideas on getting hibernate working on 10.1 CE on Thinkpad R50 ? I tried the above modules also, smapi, thinkpad, nothing works.

Sleep works, however the moon light on the thinkpad is on when the laptop is put in sleep mode, does it still consume too much power ? It doesn't happen under XP (i know i sound stupid comparing with XP)

AFAIK, you need to have a dedicated FAT swap partition for hybernating to work, though I never tried this. Have a look at this link http://www.beezmo.com/Linux.htm, and also check tphdisk http://samba.anu.edu.au/junkcode/#tphdisk utility to create the hybernation file

It says thats for pheonix notebios laptops, whereas mine is a thinkpad r50. Also how will the system recognise the hibernation file ?