Backing up home dvd's

santner

I have dvdrip and dvdauthor, and I was wanting to know how to backup home dvd's using these tools. I can rip the dvd to my harddrive(vob and ifo files) but from there it has been difficult getting it into the correct format to burn to a dvd. :wall: Any ideas?

Maybe I should be a little more specific. I don't care about the menu structure, the chapters, anything like that. I just want to backup the ACTUAL move to a dvd-r. I was able to copy the .vob and .ifo files to my harddrive, and now I just need to know how to structure it so that I can burn it. Anyone? B)

I have been looking into that myself.

If it is just for copying home made DVDs (I do that for my home movies), just copy the disk plain and simple with K3b.

If it is to backup commercial movies you own (here in Belgium that is legal), then Linux is not really ready for that in my opinion. If you have been able to rip it to HD, you could try buring it with K3b. K3b is able to burn a DVD movie if you provide it with the correct DVD structure, but it cannot do encoding itself. A lot of commercial DVD are dual layer, so they don't fit on a single layer DVD-R, so most of the time, that does not help you that much yet. There are some scripts that exist, but as I'm more of a GUI man (OK, I'm just lazy), I never tried.

To be honest, I just use DVDShrink on Windows. One of the single reasons to boot in Windows for me (lphoto now offers me a workable red eye removal solution now). The only other reason is CD-games for the kids. Those seem not to work with Wine, or Crossover office either. Did not try Winex/Cedega yet, as it is paying, and I have very little hopes that that will work as well.

Ciao,

Sitor

I've tried once to follow the guidelines on Funix, but got horribly stuck. But hey, I'm a GUI man not a CLI man. Never done much make install stuff, let alone solving dependencies. Maybe you are better at this. Or it might just work on your machine.

Good luck and let me know. If it works for you, I"m gonna give it another try.

Ciao,

Sitor

Sure! I'll let you know, as I'll probably try someday (I bought my DVD burner last week).

Unfortunately, don't expect any report from me for quite some time, because right now, I'm following 2 guides about installing audio/video codecs/apps. All the audio part is done, and the video part is 30% done.

The problem is I'm stuck on AVIFILE! It just won't compile. I've got plenty of errors related to the *.lo files. And until avifile is done, I can't go further.

Yves.

Wooohooooo!!!!!!

I've finally gone through the whole Audio/Video-basic-files section from Funix! I don't know if I'll need all this. The fact is I just want this PC to have everything, so that I don't have to come back and add stuff.

As for Sitor's question: yes many things could be installed from PLF, or even from Mdk. But some of them can't, and very often, RPM are build with many options left out. Here's what I do:

1- If there's a new-enough Source RPM, I try to rebuild it.

2- If there are missing dependances, which I know I can do without, or I have already installed but not as RPM, then unpack tarball from /usr/src/RPM/SOURCES/ to be able to execute configure --help and see what options are available, then go 5-

3- I look closely at build traces (console output), especially the ./configure-step output. If I see that some options that I want are off by default, then go 5-

4- Else RPM rebuild OK and I install the resulting binary RPMs. END.

5- So RPM rebuild did not go as I wanted, so I edit the .spec file in /usr/src/RPM/SPECS/ and change BuildRequires, Requires, %files, and configure options to meet my needs.

6- I cd into /usr/src/RPM and execute rpmbuild -bb SPECS/<file.spec>

7- In case there are build errors (the "make" step), I get the tarball(s) from /usr/src/RPM/SOURCES and put them in /usr/local/src; then I abandon the RPM-way, and go the usual ./configure; make; make install way, making sometimes corrections inside the source tree. Until done. END.

8- Else there are no build errors and I install the resulting binary RPMs. END.

(9- For non-RPM builds, I always configure --prefix=/opt/<prog_name>, and then I have a script to do/undo the needed symbolic links inside /usr/local)

Yves.

Yves,

Nice explanation. Way too difficult for my limited Linux knowledge however. Guess I'll have to wait untill some kind sole makes it more easy. I just don't have the time to do all this dependency checking and stuff. My wife already doesn't like the fact that I'm busy with the PC so much.

Let me know if you get the job done. I especially wonder for two things:

1. Can you resize dual layer DVDs to fit on a single layer one?

2. Some DVDs oblige you to go through several minutes of adds before you see the movie itself. Is it possible to remove that in the backup? That would be one more reason to view the movie from the backup instead of the original (except to refrain the children to mistreat the originals). And I can't do that on Windows yet.

Ciao,

Sitor