eth0 not working

polemicz

I just installed Mdk 10OE on my son's system: K7N420 board with Nforce MCP networking adapter built in. It is identified by mandrake and uses the forcedeth modules. lsmod shows forcedeth loaded. It's the nforce 420D chipset. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Have a look at my howto here: Simple network setup.

Read in conjunction with the sticky post at the top of the networking forum - post the output of the commands listed in the howto if you have any problems.

Edit> just noticed how many posts you have made - apologies for treating you as a newb.. :)

Chris

Edited by streeter

I'm kind of thinking this may be a driver issue, hence posting to hardware. On booting it states "determining IP information from eth0 failed,"or something to that effect. As it's an older mobo I would expect the drivers would be fine. I checked google and only get references to newer boards (nforce2, etc) and the nvidia site refers to drivers for older systems (mdk 8.1 etc) none with the 2.6 kernel. I connect directly to a LAN via a Linksys 4 port router/switch. Hardware is ok as it works well with Windows. I'm inclined to try an older version of mandrake or the 2.4 kernel with 10, but I'd rather not.