some websites inaccessible in MDK 10

teh_sAbEr

greetings. im having some trouble with the Internet in Mandrake 10.0 (download edition) and would appreciate any help offered. you see, when i start up mozilla, i can connect to the net fine and everything , but some sites i cant access, even though im able to get to them in windows on the same machine. it just sits there with "resolving host www.(name of site here).com" on the status bar, and then returns an alert that says the host cant be found. the only few sites ive been able to access so far are:

Google

Animewallpapers.com

The Daily Tribune (local newspaper here..)

any suggestions? im running MDK 10, GNOME, dual boot on two seperate drives, MDK 10 on one and Win98 on the other, Cable Modem is a Motorola SURFboard SB3100, Eth Card is a Via VT6102 Rhine II onboard lan. I have my IP addresses statically configured, since DHCP didn't really work. thanks in advance

Try adding this line to /etc/modprobe.conf:

alias net-pf-10 off

Reboot for the new settings to take effect. The above line turns off IPV6 which has caused a lot of people problems with the 2.6 kernels.Try adding this line to /etc/modprobe.conf:

alias net-pf-10 off

Reboot for the new settings to take effect. The above line turns off IPV6 which has caused a lot of people problems with the 2.6 kernels.

nope, sorry, didn't work. im still not able to get to sites like www.nvidia.com even though i know its up. heres a list of things ive already tried

1. editing /etc/resolv.conf, placing the IP of my ISP's website there (i dont know their nameserver IP) , both after the "search" and "nameserver" things.

2. adding "alias net-pf-10 off" in /etc/modprobe.conf. it did help with some speed issues, but some sites are still inaccesible

3. turning on my LAN cards onboard Boot ROM. i suppose it causes mandrake to re-detect my LAN card, and thus, set it up again..

4. installing mandrake 10 again.

so far, i can get online, but i cant get to some sites that i can get to in windows. thx for the assistance though.

/etc/resolv.conf should not contain the IP of your ISPs website. It should contain your ISP's Nameservers/DNS servers. You can get this info from windows by opening up an ms-dos prompt and running:

ipconfig /all

look for "DNS Servers" and place them in your /etc/resolv.conf in the following manner:

nameserver first_DNS_IP
nameserver second_DNS_IP

etc.

/etc/resolv.conf should not contain the IP of your ISPs website.  It should contain your ISP's Nameservers/DNS servers.  You can get this info from windows by opening up an ms-dos prompt and running:

ipconfig /all

look for "DNS Servers" and place them in your /etc/resolv.conf in the following manner:

nameserver first_DNS_IP<!--QuoteEBegin-->nameserver second_DNS_IP

etc.

thanks for the reply. i took out my ISP's IP, and left in it the DNS servers. theres also this thing there that says "search". am i supposed to do anything with that? i put the DNS server IP in that field too. so far, it still doesn't work.

search 202.172.11.21