MDK 10 installation error

Guest Spanky

Guest Spanky

So, wanting to give Linux a spin, people recommended I start with Mandrake 10. I downloaded the ISOs, defragged the comp twice, and booted up the MDK 10 Disc 1.

I hit Enter after the first splash screen, and after a few moments of loading I received this error:

"Could not uncompress 2nd stage ramdisk. This is probably an hardware error while reading the data (this may be caused by a hardware failure or a Linux kernal bay)."

So any ideas as to what I need to do to get Mandrake off of the ground? I'm on a Dell Inspirion 600m, 1.3Ghz, 512 MB, 40Gig drive, about 32 in use (most of it being MP3s and videos).

Welcome to the board :cheesy:

If it is a hardware problem, it is most likely either your ram or (less likely) your cd rom drive.

Of course, it could be that your mandrake disc(s) are faulty. Did you md5sum them?

Don't give up - remember that linux is more sensitive to problems than windows is and this is a good thing in the long run. Keep posting and I'm sure we'll have you sorted out in no time. ;)

Edited by SoulSe

Guest Spanky

Thank you...I already like this board, very friendly unlike some others I frequent.

Hmmm...I do remember running the check-sum, nothing showed up. I'll grab another copy of the first disc and see what happens. I'll keep y'all posted.

Guest Spanky

Actually, this was a MD5 error all the way. I didn't check my discs to the first time correctly. A fresh batch and I have Mandrake on the comp! And my WinXP didn't corrupt! Bad news is I've been locked out of Mandrake system, somehow it doesn't recognize my login...probably because I didn't give them a user to remember...ack.

EDIT: Reinstalled Mandrake. Working like a charm. Thanks for the help you guys! Hope to see you at another section of the board.

Edited by Spanky

Did the bug about booting from the 2nd cd get fixed?  Did you try booting from disk 2 and then switching to cd1 when it asks?

Yes, that was fixed with the Official Edition.