Fonts in MDK

rockybalboa

Sorry this may be in the wrong section but here goes.

I'm running MDK 10

I was wondering if installing more fonts increases load time or uses extra memory like Windoze?

Years ago, when alot of things were still free, I buried my Winbrick 95 system by installing a whole bunch of extra fonts. I laugh now because it was early in Win95 release and it took me a couple days to figure out what I had done wrong.

I was going to add some TTF fonts to my MDK setup.

Depending on the answer to the above, would it be advantageous to unload some of the fonts that were installed by default?

Thanks,

Dan

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman]

I've read somewhere (but can't find the site anymore :) ) someone had installed 3000 fonts and had no problems.

If that doesn't convince you (and I can't blame you) you could install the fonts for a 'user' (non-root). Then if something goes wrong it's easy to fix.

For font installation use the KDE control center, not the MCC. (Or you could ofcourse just copy the fonts to $HOME/.fonts)

no, more fonts won't put stress on memory load in Linux. Windows & Linux are like apples & oranges when it comes to memory management. so, feel free to knock yer socks off with as many fonts as you like. :P

Chris