Modem n´ inet configuration

LDC

First of all i´m very new in this forum and also in linux so i hope my questions dont sounds stupid.

The problem is that i have a winmodem of Conexant and i have downloaded the drivers from linuxant.com and the modem goes well, i know that cos it does the typical sound of the modems. I add a new internet account and when the program ask me if i want to get online now i say yes, and the modem starts with its sounds etc, but a minute later it appears the screen that my pc seems not to be online and i have tried a lot of possible configurations and nithing happens. I have the right driver and i think i have configurated the account well. What can be the problem??

Thank you and sorry for my bad english...

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman - welcome to the board :)]

welcome aboard. :P

in order to help you, the mandrake-gurus need to know some things. how are your security settings, what is the info of harddrake concerning your modem? what are your network settings?

Hi again!!!! I have the security level at Standar and all the options r the predeterminated, i havent changed any. I have just downloaded the driver for the modem and it seems go well but when it is connecting it suddenly abbort the conection. In the configuration of the account i have writen the name, the user name, the password and for the autentification CHAP (i dont really know wot that means). And i dont know the IP or the DNS so i have chosen IP and DNS automatic. And thats all i think. Thank u for answer, i hope u can help me, cos its very borin to change form linux to win evry time u want to get online.

congradulations, few people can install those drivers as new linux users, by the time I was confident in my ability to get them running, i had long since bought a hardware modem.

Since it's dialing, the issue is not driver related, and at 'standard' it's not a security issue either.

Most likely, you are either using the wrong authentication protecal or the wrong login information.

example: Let's say I had MSN internet service with the email address VeeDubb@msn.com. (I don't have msn any more, but i used to) Anyway, you'd think my username would be VeeDubb, or maybe VeeDubb@msn.com, but what I had to use for a login was MSN/VeeDubb Well, actualy VeeDubb wasn't my msn name, so it was something else, but you get the gist.

So what ISP are you using? don't post your username or pass, just the name of the ISP and hopefuly someone will be able to help you out.

Hi! Sorry but i dont know what is ISP. I think that the problem is in the authentification, but in the page of my internet company, they says that i have to put PAP authentification, but it goes the same. And the id and the pass are well cos i have probed the same in win and it goes well. The modem try to get online well, but when its the time to authentify the conection it suddenly disconnect. I will have to phone to the internet company next monday though.